Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Burning laser optimal mW

What is the optimal output for a hand-held laser pointer that can light objects on fire without the aid of sharpie, magnifying lens, etc?

What is the optimal output for a hand-held laser pointer that can light objects on fire without the aid of sharpie, magnifying lens, etc?

The frequency might matter more to you. 405nm Blu-Ray diodes generally burn easier than any other at a given milliwattage.

The reason being is that the short wavelength light is absorbed better by a wider array of materials. Also, the shorter the wavelength, the tighter it can be focused. There's always exceptions, but a <100mw 405 Blu-Ray will generally burn as well or better than a 200mW red 650nm.

Plus you get the neat effect of getting to play with florescence.

Something like this would be a very potent burner. http://www.o-like.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=25 Please spend the extra $20 and get the glasses listed in the sidebar next to it though.

Last edited:

Ash

The frequency might matter more to you. 405nm Blu-Ray diodes generally burn easier than any other at a given milliwattage.
I think you mean wavelength. :thinking:

AJ_Dual does make a good point. A focusable 405nm burns much better than 660nm (due to the potential for higher optical density [more power per unit area]).

Okay. So, you are asking about the optimal (optimum) output to light stuff on fire without a focusing (or magnifying) lens? I would say (safely) that 1W of any color should be enough to light any object on fire.
If we are talking about minimum required power for focusable lasers to burn stuff:
150mW red
100mW green
70mW bluray
But, choosing the right wavelength really a lot has to do with the color of the material you are trying to burn.
:bday:

The reason being is that the short wavelength light is absorbed better by a wider array of materials. Also, the shorter the wavelength, the tighter it can be focused. There's always exceptions, but a <100mw 405 Blu-Ray will generally burn as well or better than a 200mW red 650nm.

Plus you get the neat effect of getting to play with florescence.

Something like this would be a very potent burner. 200mW blu-ray torch/adjustable/focusable [OL-405-200-T] - $105.99 : Welcome to O-Like.com, Your source for laser products Please spend the extra $20 and get the glasses listed in the sidebar next to it though.
That's a bit out of my price range... However, I do like the focus capability.

That's a bit out of my price range... However, I do like the focus capability.

Then the O-like 200mW red in the same body will still burn like crazy for only $44.99. It'll melt/burn through the black bottom of a CD case, light matches (even red ones if you place them at the perfect waist of the focus), and cut electrical tape like warm butter.

I think you mean wavelength. :thinking:

No I meant mW, as your own little chart shows, the shorter the wavelength the better a burner it is. 100mW of 405 will burn better than 100mW of 660nm etc. Shorter wavelengths carry more energy per photon, and other than objects that fluoresce, more things (on average) seem to absorb 405nm than green or red.

I'm just saying if he shops around, he might find 70mW or so of 405 cheaper than 100-200mW of red.

Last edited:
Do you know what their return policy is? When I click on "shipping and returns" this pops up:

"Shipping & Returns

Shipping Sample Text ...

This section of text is from the Define Pages Editor located under Tools in the Admin.

To remove this section of the text, delete it from the Define Pages Editor."

Also, do they have free shipping? If not how much does it cost?

Do you know what their return policy is? When I click on "shipping and returns" this pops up:

"Shipping & Returns

Shipping Sample Text ...

This section of text is from the Define Pages Editor located under Tools in the Admin.

To remove this section of the text, delete it from the Define Pages Editor."

Also, do they have free shipping? If not how much does it cost?

Shipping was $4. And others have made returns, or failed deliveries have been taken care of by O-Like for other forum members. You will have to ship it back to China/Hong Kong/Singapore or whatnot if you do want to make a return.

I haven't heard of many of these lasers failing though. A single-stage red diode is a pretty simple device with not much to go wrong with it.

Ash

No I meant mW,
Reeeeeeeallllly?
FacePalm.gif