Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

built my first lm 317 circuit - what did I do wrong?

Title says it. Built it last night using a single resistor circuit. However, when i turn it on i am getting 8.5 volts LD Out. I attemped to check current using 6 diodes and a 1 ohm resistor in series as load, but not getting anything. Something doesnt seem right. I have included 2 pictures. One of the final board and the other showing exactly how i have the pins soldered to one another. Im a circuit noob so please bear with me.

lm317.jpg

lm3172.jpg

The first glaring problem I see is that you are bypassing the LM317 completely.

(Also, if that thing to the right of the capacitor is a diode, you're drawing it wrong)

Thanks for pointing that out. Would you be kind enough to show me where i am going wrong? And yes, that is a diode to the right of the cap.

^Yes, assuming the left and center pin are "adj" & "out" and the left pin for power is "in."

Ok that makes sense. So the reg. Does not get grounded, it simply stays "positive"? So v in is voltage in and the other two pins are bridged together with a resistor which is also tied to positive?

Yes. I can be used in a grounded fashion, but then it regulates voltage instead of current.