Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Building my first red laser!! EVER !!

C1c50

Alright guys, so its my first ever laser im building and im very excited :D
I bought a Lpc-815 sled for the red laser diode in it... its 250-300Mw ...
I also bought a axiz module.
I bought a GhostDrive 2 Driver that's set at 395mA from here GhostDrive2

I have heat sinks for the axiz module
and ofcouse i have batteries hahaha
I was told to run the laser diode with 4 1.5V AA batteries... is that too strong? too weak?? If i run the laser diode at 9V would it be too strong and pop the diode??

and is this all i need to make a laser ?
Axiz module, laser diode,driver and heatsink

Suggestions and help needed Thanks :)

You need a diode press to push the diode into the aixiz module. The driver specs says it can take up to 15v. It wont effect the current being applied to the diode.

C1c50

Whats the point of the diode press? cant i just put the diode in the Axiz module with my hand?
and then all i need to do is connect them all together??

Last edited:
Whats the point of the diode press? cant i just put the diode in the Axiz module with my hand?
and then all i need to do is connect them all together??

No, the diode is press-fit into the module, meaning that you are going to need a lot more force than just your fingers. You can use the back section of the aixiz module to press it flush (put the pins of the diode through the hole in the back part of the module and push it together in a vice) but a proper diode press will recess it in the module for the best heat sinking. Yes, the info about needing 4 1.5V batteries ( AA's or AAA's etc) is correct, but a single 9volt battery is too weak. If you were asking about 9V because you planned on using 6 1.5V batts, then that will work. You will also need a soldering iron and some solder to attach the leads. I would recommend adding a switch somewhere in there, rather than having it run continuously until you pop out a battery.

No, the diode is press-fit into the module, meaning that you are going to need a lot more force than just your fingers. You can use the back section of the aixiz module to press it flush (put the pins of the diode through the hole in the back part of the module and push it together in a vice) but a proper diode press will recess it in the module for the best heat sinking. Yes, the info about needing 4 1.5V batteries ( AA's or AAA's etc) is correct, but a single 9volt battery is too weak. If you were asking about 9V because you planned on using 6 1.5V batts, then that will work. You will also need a soldering iron and some solder to attach the leads. I would recommend adding a switch somewhere in there, rather than having it run continuously until you pop out a battery.

Also remember to place the switch between the ghost drive, and the batteries.

I can't remember if the ghost drive has caps on it, but if it does.....

Placing the switch between the diode and the driver will cause the caps to charge up when you flip the laser off. Upon turning it back on, that whole charge will release into the diode and fry it.

This is also the same reason you need to short out your output leads on the driver before soldering them to the diode, to make sure the caps are discharged.

Since you bought a sled you also have to harvest the diode.
See my nifty tutorial here:

Last edited:

C1c50

Yeahh, i already have a soldering iron and and some solder .
I was planning on using a computers power supply not 6 1.5V batteries... would that work?

P.s @Mohrenberg... i have the Power supply thing to put 4 AA batteries in it, and on that it has a power switch... Would that workout, or do i need to put another one??

Attachments

• 0J2344.400.jpg
    0J2344.400.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Yeahh, i already have a soldering iron and and some solder .
I was planning on using a computers power supply not 6 1.5V batteries... would that work?

P.s @Mohrenberg... i have the Power supply thing to put 4 AA batteries in it, and on that it has a power switch... Would that workout, or do i need to put another one??

Well, considering I used a 12volt computer power supply to power mine, yes it will work at 9 Volts. If the power supply has the switch BUILT IN, Then yes, it is between the start of the circuit (the outlet) and the driver, and will work fine. Just don't add ANOTHER switch after the driver. Remember to use a test load to set your driver's voltage though! You run the risk of frying your diode if you don't. Good luck on your first build! Mine was very similar :D

C1c50

Sorry to ask... But whats a Test load...
If i took what you said right... im using a 395mA driver for my 250-300 Mw red laser diode

a test load is a set of diodes in series with a 1ohm resistor that simulates a laser diode. we measure the mv over the resistor to see how much current the driver is putting out.

I think the ghost drive uses fixed resistor and not a pot, so you don't really need to mess with any of that

Last edited:
here is an outdated video using rkcstr's test load setting a flex drive.

i'm busting out all my old videos tonight!

Last edited:

C1c50

so now all i need to do is
1. put my laser diode in my axiz module
2. put the 395mA Ghostdrive in the axiz module and solder it to the Laser diode
3. Place the axiz module in a heat sink
4. Solder the 4 1.5V AA batteries to the Ghostdrive
Done?

Last edited:
so now all i need to do is
1. put my laser diode in my axiz module
2. put the 395mA Ghostdrive in the axiz module
3. Place the axiz module in a heat sink
4. connect the 4 1.5V AA batteries to the Ghostdrive
Done?

That's about the gist of it.

Last edited:
You need to make sure you know what pins on the diode go to what parts of the driver as well.

You need to make sure you know what pins on the diode go to what parts of the driver as well.

He is right. Please note that the LPC diode series use the case pin (the pin that looks like it is connected to the case, without the black spacer) as negative. Its pretty easy to find a pinout for one.

images