Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Building my first bluray flashlight.

Here is a couple pics of the mxdl host with PHR diode and jayrob heatsink and it uses 3 protected 10440 cells to power it. You can see in the pic below, just how big the artifact is in the diode. It looks like a fly landed on the lens. LOL

Attachments

• PIC_1548 (Small).JPG
    PIC_1548 (Small).JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 141
  • PIC_1549 (Small).JPG
    PIC_1549 (Small).JPG
    51 KB · Views: 133
  • PIC_1550 (Small).JPG
    PIC_1550 (Small).JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 124

I cleaned the diode window with some compressed air and the artifact is gone. It was just dust on the diode window. I also turned up the mA to 118mA and it is now burning like the original diode that came with it. I will not turn up the mA anymore until i get my order for the other 2 PHR diodes that i placed this morning.

What would be the next step up from the PHRs? I eventually want to end up with a 12x build one day but i would like to take it in steps. I was thinking about a 6x or even a 8x bluray for my next build. I will probably even build a high powered red laser too but dont know which is the best diode for that build. I will do some more research.

I am able to lite matches, lite flashpaper, and pop balloons. YIPPEE!!
I was also able to burn a hole through a black cd case also. I am surprised at just how good the PHR burns. Just wish it could handle a little more mA.

http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/diodes-compilation-all-diodes-data-one-thread-45042.html
read this link, you are pushing that diode, and it will burn out again soon, especially if you keep it on to long, or use it to much, it slowy degrades with each use, thats why the power and burn ability decreases. with all the money you spent buying all those PHRs you could have gotten a 6X GGW, which will take a good 190mA. a GGW will run you around $60+, and an 8X will be around $170+. choose wisley though as replacing these are a real shot in the arm.
You could also get the 6X SF-AW210 for $30 from modwerx, it would take less mA then the GGW but will be better than any PHR and considering what youve already spent, id recomend that option.

I dont mind spending the money on this new hobby. I just got out of the RC Helicopter hobby and that is one expensive hobby. I was into them for around 8yrs. I probably spent close to 2500$ on my helis last year alone. But i have now sold all of my helis and now that i am taking a break from them i am loving this laser hobby. I have had my eye on that 6x for 30$ at modwerx for a few days now.
And i am hoping that even running the phr a little over 100mA will still last long because of the big heatsink that i have on it. I dont run the laser more than a minute at a time.
Once i get the 2 new phr diodes in the mail next week i will more than likely turn the driver up closer to 130mA just to see what it will do. I dont mind driving these phr's hard because they are so cheap. But the 6x will only be run at what everyone considers to be safe for long life.

nikos post says the max operating current is 120mA, if you go over that your diode will most likely burn out instantaniously, just some helpful advice, take it or leave it. good luck with your build.

Thanks for all the info. From what i gather, the phr diode has been ran with mixed results. Some people say that they die when pushed over 100mA. I have mine set to 118mA at the moment and it is running really good.
I am almost certain that i will be ordering a GGW 6x diode tonight. I already have an extra driver and i may just install some bullet connectors to the positive and negetive leads in the host so i can just unplug the driver/diode combo and slide in the GGW in the heatsink and just plug it in when i want to use it. That way i can run which ever one i want to at any givin time without having to build another host. Or i may just order one of those lab style heatsinks for the PHR and just install the GGW in the mxdl host.

I was messing around with my laser lastnight when all of a sudden it stopped working. I thought i burnt out the diode again but it was one of my so-called protected 10440 batteries went flat. Only one charge on it and it quit working. Luckily i had an extra batt and now it is good as new again.

Also i took everyones advise and purchased a dummy load for current testing. Now maybe i will get a more accurate reading of the current setting. Should have it sometime this week.

Just purchased a GGW 6x sled this morning. Cant wait to see what it can do compared to the PHR diodes. Hopefully have the GGW this weekend and i will report when i get it installed.

Got the test load from modwerx this morning and i went ahead and hooked it up to my extra rkcstr driver and got the current set for 200mA that way it will be ready for soldering the GGW diode to it. Cant wait!!

Last edited:

KiLLrB

jesus dude use the edit button! i think 7 posts in a row is a new record.

Just an update on my build. I got the GGW sled in this morning and it only took a couple minutes to pull the diode and get it set in the aixiz module. I have it running at 200mA on the rkcstr driver and it is running really good. It will burn thru a cd case in like 2-3 seconds. Now i will build an 8x next time.