Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Building Krypton Groove with M462 diode

Hey everyone I have some questions about my project.
I have an older krypton groove from probably 2010 and i never got around to making it work so now I have ordered a new diode and driver to get it going but i want to make sure I am doing this properly. In a krypton groove, should i solder the case pin and negative pin to the negative pad on the driver so that it is case negative? will that work with the current Xdrive for sale in DTRs store? Should i use 18650 for this build or is there another battery i need to use. Is it possible to use CR123s?

Hey everyone I have some questions about my project.
I have an older krypton groove from probably 2010 and i never got around to making it work so now I have ordered a new diode and driver to get it going but i want to make sure I am doing this properly. In a krypton groove, should i solder the case pin and negative pin to the negative pad on the driver so that it is case negative? will that work with the current Xdrive for sale in DTRs store? Should i use 18650 for this build or is there another battery i need to use. Is it possible to use CR123s?

Depends if the xdrive is continuous ground. The ones I have are, but you would need to check. I think FP said the fixed versions arent.

Anyway if its continuous you can, if its not you would need to connect the neg in of the driver to either the case pin of the diode, or some other contact point on the host to pick up bat neg. The neg out (diode out neg) would then connect to the neg pin on the diode. The diode is case neutral ie neg is isolated from case, so this isnt a problem as would be for eg a case neg diode.

The X drive is a buck so you generally need 2 batteries, for this host 2 x 16340 are best, but if you widen the tail cap 2 x 18350 will fit (non protected). Having said that you could run the driver out of regulation and use 1 x 18650 for a lower current lower power "mode". I do this with the 9 mm diodes 3 W @ 2.4 A and 2 bats, 200 mW at around 200 mA and 1 bat. Please note the exact current you will get will depend on the IV curve characteristics of the diode. You can look this up for the M462 diode, which is similar to the M140, at 4.2 V. I havent tried it personally so I cant make any guarantees about the safety of your diode. If the current goes over 2 A you may kill it. :beer:

Last edited:

DTR

Run the case pin(only) of the diode to the negative driver input and that will provide a good path to ground for the driver. What won't work is to wire the case pin and negative pin on the diode together for that you need a driver with continuous ground which only special ordered x-drives do that.:)

Last edited:
Thank you both for the help I think I have it figured out now I just need to wait for batteries as the 2 C123As arent doing anything.

Run the case pin(only) of the diode to the negative driver input and that will provide a good path to ground for the driver. What won't work is to wire the case pin and negative pin on the diode together for that you need a driver with continuous ground which only special ordered x-drives do that.:)

Is it possible a 18650 would light this up at all? I want to see if it even works but don't have 16340s. What can i do to make sure It works if anything??
Thanks so much for all your help friends

If you are using a driver, which you should be for 2 cells, it is possible that it has a low voltage cut out. The nominal voltage of CR123As is 3 V and this is basically empty for a Liion. :beer:

Hey guys I received batteries today. Went with your suggestion and ordered up some flabby 16340s and a charger and fired it up. I was so excited to see that blinding blue dot the first time, mostly because the first time i tried to build up a laser like 6 years ago when I got the Groove directly from Kenom, I used a Blu-Ray Diode and I don't know if the driver didnt work or if the diode was dead or if I hadn't realized I needed to run a lead from the case pin to the driver negative pad or any number of issues but it didnt work and I was gutted because that build took months to get the parts together so I gave upon it.

Recently My friend who had also been interested way back six years ago and is now in Engineering school in Boston built one up and Custom made his own housing on the lather out of solid copper basically resembling a smaller Krypton and it got my fire going again. I immediately went to this forum an started researching what has changed and was shocked how much power was possible and the new colors as well blew my mind. I just want to say how helpful this forum is and what great source of information from brilliant and creative inventors who are supportive of each other, It is a unique hobby and a unique place.

Back story complete, I want to say this laser is incredible! I love this color and the beam is great!

I have a few questions. I have an older groove and there is no focus ring nor was one in the box when I received it so it is difficult to adjust the focus and impossible to do with the unit on, how can I get around this? Is there a way to get a compatible adapter like the new krypton have or are other solutions floating around. Also what am I losing out by not running a g2 lens or whatever works best for this diode? Final question is do I need to heatsink the driver and how do I go about doing this ? Do I attach something to the surface mount chip that has labeling saying 3R3