Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Budget, tested laser safety goggles. OD 5+

Tested Budget Safety Goggles

Dark Red
uc

OD 5+ 400nm to 520nm
OD 4.5+ 520nm to 535nm

Green
uc

OD 1.5+ 405nm
OD 3+ 440nm to 460nm
OD 2+ 460 to 480nm
OD 2+ 630nm to 660nm

Light Red
uc

OD 5+ 520nm
OD 4.5+ 532nm

Blue
uc

OD 1+ 630nm to 660nm

Use this spreadsheet to automatically calculate which goggles for your specific laser, or what to expect from each of the different goggles.
Goggles Calculator
Pricing:
Dark Red: $5
Green: $5
Light Red: $2.50 OUT OF STOCK
Blue $2.50
Shipping:
CONUS:
Orders $20 and over Free
Priority: $7.50
First Class: $3

International:
Location by location basis
Information thread

:thanks:For Looking

Last edited:

I was just wondering, but are these the same goggles as the cheap ebay ones? I have a very similar pair from ebay and I was wondering if they were the same so I could know their true OD.

Last edited:
I was just wondering, but are these the same goggles as the cheap ebay ones? I have a very similar pair from ebay and I was wondering if they were the same so I could know their true OD.

It's impossible to know. The light red ones for instance, I have 3 types and they are all different.

My eyes are very important to me so I must ask: Tested how?

Do you have a spreadsheet or a graph showing the level of attenuation across the range they protect us from?
Something like this: https://d11fdyfhxcs9cr.cloudfront.net/templates//58770/myimages/EP-3_OD_vs._Wavelength.pdf

I buy these : https://www.survivallaserusa.com/Safety_Goggles/cat1667093_1527285.aspx

Take a look at the goggles calculator in the OP. They were tested at 405nm, 445nm, 520nm, 638nm. All other wavelengths were interpolated based on the values I measured.

Last edited:
It's impossible to know. The light red ones for instance, I have 3 types and they are all different.

Take a look at the goggles calculator in the OP. They were tested at 405nm, 445nm, 520nm, 638nm. All other wavelengths were interpolated based on the values I measured.

What were the actual test procedures used.:thinking:
For example :-

-Laser distance from lenses
-Diameter of Laser beam on lenses
-Duration of beam on lenses

They seem to look like the cheapy eBay Googles.
Is that a correct assumption..:thinking:

Jerry

Reactions: GSS
What were the actual test procedures used.:thinking:
For example :-

-Laser distance from lenses
-Diameter of Laser beam on lenses
-Duration of beam on lenses

They seem to look like the cheapy eBay Googles.
Is that a correct assumption..:thinking:

Jerry

Please view the information thread in the OP. They were not purchased from ebay so I cannot confirm whether they are the same or not. I got them from a chinese wholesaler.
Procedure:
Laser measured on lpm
Distance from laser to lpm 6"
Size of dot on LPM depends on the laser, they were focused to infinity if possible. If not then maybe a bit smaller to fit on the thermopile. Approx 1/16" to 1/8".

Glasses put halfway between the laser and thermopile ~3". The goggles were moved back and forth while the thermopile cooled down. Once there was a stable reading it was recorded and the goggles were burn tested. Pretty much all of them blocked more light while the goggles were burning due to them melting. Up until the point were the laser burned through them (at least 5-10s for this to happen). If the laser was not on infinity due to having to focus it to the thermopile the dot on the goggles would have been a bit larger than the dot on the thermopile, maybe by 1/2 a mm to 1mm at most.

The duration was however long it took for the LPM to stabilize, probably maximum 30s to 45s but sometimes less.

The values were then taken and OD was calculated. If the value was 0 I assumed .01mW because the lowest I got the meter to read was .03mW with my least powerful laser. The tests were also done without moving the goggles and the OD calculated was much higher, I suspect due to the goggles melting and the smoke/melted plastic blocking the laser beam. I did not use those values.

I apologize, the goggles calculator was broken before. Someone changed things they shouldn't have changed. I fixed it now. Also please see this spreadsheet for the actual values measured, note that the spreadsheet incorrectly labels 638nm as 635nm.

Last edited:
Prices lowered, also I will offer quantity discounts if anyone is interested. I don't need 60 pairs of laser safety goggles :beer:

Did you get my PM asking for a tracking number for the SSY-1 I bought from you last week?

SSY-1? I have only sold 3 lasers recently, all of which where recieved by the customer (rommie) and he posted in my other lpm'd lasers thread. I have not sold anything to you or anyone else other than that.

Last edited:
Wrong Brendon. The one you want is 16 years old. Don't recall his user name.

Gazen

Do you know if the blue pair will block 589? You don’t say it does but is that just because you haven’t tested it with one?

Last edited:

Zom-B

The spreadsheet is broken. I found a working version in the history but I can't restore for some reason. I conveniently could however rename it to "Last working version".

Sorry about that, I fixed the spreadsheet. I did not test for 589nm because I do not own a 589nm but using the spreadsheet (which uses interpolation) the dark red goggles would be your best bet with an estimate of OD 2.5+ which would reduce 1000mW to <3.16mW. The blue goggles unfortunately are pretty useless at everything.