Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Broken blue, 1000 MW 450 N M laser

They call me Red

So my kid got a hold of my laser pointer Went to take out the batteries and boom these wires got disconnected and I never took a part this part of the laser so I don’t know how these wires go back together. Can anybody please help me in the one photo with the black wire, facing away from the camera, you cant see but there’s a plus sign on the left top and a negative sign on the right but I don’t know what goes where. Thanks, Red!

Attachments

• BCCE1B20-D336-4926-A15D-5360392B4E62.jpeg
    BCCE1B20-D336-4926-A15D-5360392B4E62.jpeg
    37.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 87F55A6C-FE5C-4FC1-83D5-34688ADE70F0.jpeg
    87F55A6C-FE5C-4FC1-83D5-34688ADE70F0.jpeg
    296.2 KB · Views: 11
  • ABAAAD6B-9AAF-4E34-B475-0120E6BE5E8A.jpeg
    ABAAAD6B-9AAF-4E34-B475-0120E6BE5E8A.jpeg
    268.1 KB · Views: 10

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
Ummmm......well.......... If you're going to store your 1 watt laser anywhere your kid can potentially get hold of it you may find many of the members of this community reluctant to help you. Anyone with high power lasers should store them the way they would store guns. Especially if they have kids.

A one watt laser is no joke. Faster than you can blink and your eye is F'd. For life.

When we develop the ability to grow new retinas using stem cells or something we can be a little more casual about laser safety, but until then we need to respect our lasers the way we respect our guns. They're both small hand-held devices that can shatter a life .....faster than you can blink, literally.

They call me Red

Ummmm......well.......... If you're going to store your 1 watt laser anywhere your kid can potentially get hold of it you may find many of the members of this community reluctant to help you. Anyone with high power lasers should store them the way they would store guns. Especially if they have kids.

A one watt laser is no joke. Faster than you can blink and your eye is F'd. For life.

When we develop the ability to grow new retinas using stem cells or something we can be a little more casual about laser safety, but until then we need to respect our lasers the way we respect our guns. They're both small hand-held devices that can shatter a life .....faster than you can blink, literally.
My kids 14 and took it apart cas I keep the batteries somewhere else and was trying to put regular batteries in it

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Yeah well your "kid" is a moron because he busted your laser up. I get the feeling you were trying to do a repair and failed at taking it apart. Pulling those wires out that were connected to the diode and driver may just have ruined both of them. The pins on the diode are likely busted off where the negative wire was ripped yes ripped.

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
My kids 14 and took it apart cas I keep the batteries somewhere else and was trying to put regular batteries in it
I think you just made my point for me about keeping these things securely locked up. Does your 14 year old actually understand how dangerous a one watt laser can be if misused? Do they understand what constitutes misuse? Do YOU understand those things?

I may come across as being harsh but a 14 year old 'playing' with dad's cool blue laser is a statistic waiting to happen. One minute you're burning ants. Then you move the beam juuuust a little and get a reflection from some little flake of quartz in the dirt and your down one eye. Those kind of statistics are a very real threat to this hobby.

These things being said, red is generally positive. I can't see what damage may have been done when the wires got ripped off the driver but it might still work if things are reconnected.

Giannis_TDM

I think you just made my point for me about keeping these things securely locked up. Does your 14 year old actually understand how dangerous a one watt laser can be if misused? Do they understand what constitutes misuse? Do YOU understand those things?

I may come across as being harsh but a 14 year old 'playing' with dad's cool blue laser is a statistic waiting to happen. One minute you're burning ants. Then you move the beam juuuust a little and get a reflection from some little flake of quartz in the dirt and your down one eye. Those kind of statistics are a very real threat to this hobby.

These things being said, red is generally positive. I can't see what damage may have been done when the wires got ripped off the driver but it might still work if things are reconnected.
Well, good luck getting the epoxied in module out! Thank god the china provided eye burners can get destroyed so easily!

Giannis_TDM

Yeah well your "kid" is a moron because he busted your laser up. I get the feeling you were trying to do a repair and failed at taking it apart. Pulling those wires out that were connected to the diode and driver may just have ruined both of them. The pins on the diode are likely busted off where the negative wire was ripped yes ripped.
I don't think so, The pins while fragile are held in with epoxy decent enough to at least have a chance to not sustain damage from a chinaTM solder joint-pcb pad. The funny thing is that to solder it back in place he will have to either cut the host, or try to very carefully hammer out the module. Also I wonder why china doesn't just solder a wire to the module and driver for the - as thats what I do and that makes it so for case negative builds you only need the + wire going to the driver. That too enables what I like to call 'module hot-swapping' where you can have 1 host with a set screw and switch between modules on the fly for the preferred WL. As a resault the host is vastly more simple too as the battery spring can just be directly soldered to the driver with a foam ring to insulate it from the host's casing.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
I don't think so, The pins while fragile are held in with epoxy decent enough to at least have a chance to not sustain damage from a chinaTM solder joint-pcb pad. The funny thing is that to solder it back in place he will have to either cut the host, or try to very carefully hammer out the module. Also I wonder why china doesn't just solder a wire to the module and driver for the - as thats what I do and that makes it so for case negative builds you only need the + wire going to the driver. That too enables what I like to call 'module hot-swapping' where you can have 1 host with a set screw and switch between modules on the fly for the preferred WL. As a resault the host is vastly more simple too as the battery spring can just be directly soldered to the driver with a foam ring to insulate it from the host's casing.
Good points. At any rate who rips apart a laser just to insert batteries? Sounds sus as they say

atomd

Either way 1W laser is useless as a toy apart from very controlled areas. diffused scatter can blind anyone so to work without googles laser lab like room needs to be used to be able to control reflections.

How do you intend to "play" with 1W laser anyway?

Hakan66

Good afternoon Mr Red, Sweden here...

This is easy to repair but first things first... The red wire is + (positive) and the black wire that comes from the driver is - (negative, gnd or ground)

To make it as easy as possible you need to press out the brass-heat sink that holds the diode/driver. To do that, turn the diode housing upside down,compared to the picture. The laser diode should point upright and the driver with the black wire downside to the table.

Use a socket that fits (1/2") and a medium/small hammer and tapp easy untill the brass sink/diode/driver comes of.

When you have the driver out of the housing it's easier to identify where to solder the red/black wire.

I have a laserpointer that looks very similar to yours and in my case, the driver is grounded to the housing in the front of the driver and both the red/black cables are soldered in the rear end of the driver.

I hope this is enoug information to start with, and don't be too hard to the young lad, invite him and fix the laserpointer together instead of getting angry.

And if you need some more support, just contact me and i will help you and your son out...

Best Regards
Nils-Håkan Stenspränge
Sweden