Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Boost/Buck driver

Fills a need, looks nice, this guy is really moving forward with some nice drivers, I remember his first offering, bought some of those.

looks good but i'd still vote for astralist's new pico drive,has better price and can work up to 1.5A current also. just personal preference

Last edited:
:) and..... a better price from Astral. These two guys are our Yin-Yang laser diode driver suppliers with their black and white boards, the white hat cheaper, but I do like those black boards, they are beautiful and the way he has a cut out to make the driver smaller, if you want a reduced size, is great.

Interesting, for sure. Thanks for sharing. Might have to try one out, but echoing Alaskan: more expensive. Also, likely to take longer to arrive (for me). Been super happy with Astalists responsiveness and products.

Love having choices!

I had one dead driver in my most recent batch from astralist. Was wondering if anyone else has run into this? I always put leads on both sides of any driver I am going to use. Then I check/set it with a dummy load before actual use. The reason I solder leads to these drivers is you don't want to have an intermittent diode connection as that will kill your driver. :undecided:

Last edited:
I had one dead driver in my most recent batch from astralist. Was wondering if anyone else has run into this? I always put leads on both sides of any driver I am going to use. Then I check/set it with a dummy load before actual use. The reason I solder leads to these drivers is you don't want to have an intermittent diode connection as that will kill your driver. :undecided:

i had one driver that was shorted on first try-arrival, after some testing steps i found out that one capacitor on the board was internally shorted,ic chip didn't survive though :(

Last edited:
Which driver did you both have issues with? There's been a few versions, I think I had a similar issue with an older LV boost, but it's been a couple months and I might be mixing things up.

i had one driver that was shorted on first try-arrival, after some testing steps i found out that one capacitor on the board was internally shorted,ic chip didn't survive though :(

I believe mine had the same problem. The input supply for the driver has very low resistance and since it is a boost driver, I suspect there is little that can be done for it. This is the new Pico Driver. I hope this does not become a common problem for these. :thinking:

Last edited:
im talking about pico driver also,mine was just shorted with 0 ohm resistance on the output,i had to unsolder the 2 output capacitors to find out that short is gone and one of the capacitors was the reason.

im ok thought as i got lucky and bought 1 extra for my builds,astralist offered a replacement and will shipped with my next order that will include the new boost superdrive

Last edited:
I received a few of those too, will need to check those capacitors for shorts, thank you for the heads up.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
I just received my order of pico drives also, I hope I'm lucky and all are working properly. :)

Definitely check them before using them. I guess since you have to set the current this should go without saying. I was surprise to have one that had no output.

I'm glad to see it, hopefully he makes some bigger drivers as well, 10 amp, 15 amp would be nice for multi diode builds and some bigger IR, I have some silicon gap pads for thermally bonding his drivers from the back, so far they work just fine but I also use a couple dabs of FUJIK thermal mounting paste just to insure they stay put. :beer: Glad to see new drivers.