Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Blurry vision after playing with blu-ray

When playing with blu-ray after a while my vision gets a little blurry, this is after looking at the dot for a while at a distance 15ft.

A few minutes later vision becomes normal again.
Is this harmfull and what can cause this?
Is it maybe the same what happens with welding, flash burn (which is caused by UV radiation)

For closeup burning I always use the green goggles from Nova which should also protect for the wavelenght of bluray.

This is common. Think it occurs because blu-ray is just on the border of visible and non-visible, so looking at it for ages messes up your brain and makes things fuzzy.

diachi

It's perfectly normal, its just your eyes have a hard time adjusting to the wavelength. I have the same problem with some blue LEDs :p

Yeah, your eyes are probably just adjusting to the difference in brightness.

diachi

No it's not the difference in brightness, due to 405nm violet being right at the edge of the visible spectrum, our eyes usually have a hard time adjusting to the colour.

-Adam

My eyes did the same thing when I first got my violet. I'm used to it now, and it doesn't happen anymore.

I don't get any of these problems! o_O I can see the dot fine, the beam has no 'ghostly' effect for me, it's like I'm missing out on half the fun of a blu-ray D: