Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Blue ray Laser SF-AW210 DIY 405nm 170mA @ 140mW (Uncollimated)

megha

PART 5: YouTube - 405nm Blue ray Violet Laser Burning. Lights a match at 2.5 meters.
PART 4: NIGHTSHOOTING
The human eye catch the color more violet and darker even the sky is clear and with no fog

lista3b.jpg

PART 3: ASSEMBLING / FINISHING
I`ve finished assembling the kit. I`m using it at 170mA @ 140mW (I guess). For the human`s eye, tt`s visibility is similar to my ebay <5mW 532nm of $8.00. I`m using 9V. The beam is visible at night and the dot is just visible in very light colors as white. Impossible to see the dot in a dark surface from 50mts or more. As conclussion, I think that at this power is more a burning laser than a visible laser.​

lista2b.jpg

PART 2 (The KIT)

The laser kit has arrived in just 8 days from geareb´s hands in korea to my house in Argentine. It`s a SF AW210 405nm Diode. This are some pics and a video about the unassembled kit (I`ll assemble it on this weekedn or next week). I want to have it ready for Chiristmas, So I`ve time to wait the host and batteries from ebay. I`ll assemble
I`ll finally use 3xCR123A (3.0V each, 9.0V total) or maybe just 6.0V power supply. I`ve to check it while I assemble it. I`ll use it at 170mA to have about 175mW. I want a long life, and these diodes are not very stable, they can die if they are not the good ones and you push them. They are factory powered at 125mA.​

lista1l.jpg

PART 1

I`ll bough a laser kit from an ebay seller from Korea called "geareb".
This is the info that the seller posts:

250mW+ 405nm Blue Violet Laser Diode Module with Adjustable Glass Lens, Tiny Heatsink for Laser module and 9 Component Driver DIY Kit include tiny heatsink for laser diode housing.
Ship after 200mA inspection for not stress diode.​

Laser diodes are rated for Class IIIb 250mW @405-410nm CW extract from never used Blu-Ray RW Pickup.​

This diode died after 414mW@350mA 10mA step I-P-V test - room temperature with glass lens after install tiny heatsink.​

This module include tiny heatsink (glass lens not included). (I`ve bought a total of 2 tiny heatsinks, each extra is $5.00)

Max Output : With tiny heat sink (200mW @ 190mA, 250mW@ 230mA, 300mW@ 270mA, 350mW@ 300mA, 414mW@ 350mA)
I recommand less than 1 minute duty for 250-300mW drive (eventhough
it's arrive 40 minutes continuous work with a tiny heatsink) and 2:40 with 2 tiny heatsink at 250mW.
Or this module need more heatsink than a tiny heatsink for continuous work.
Recommended Output : 200mW@ 190mA(tiny heatsink)
Threshold Current : ~33mA(~3.6V)
Operation Voltage : ~5.1V @ 190mA
Module : 12mm diameter x 30mm length with glass lens
Lead wire 30cm(Red plus[+], Black minus[-]) with 2.5mm pitch Connector.
DIY Kit : 9 component, 320mA max limit​

Then, I`ve found this for another laser module that he sells (listed as "150mw" but suggested use at 104mw). Maybe this info helps with something because is VERY a similar kit.

Dropdown Reg. Constant Current LD Driver
Input Voltage 8 - 20V​

Pic 1) Schematic
32636184.jpg

Pic 2) Components
23520882.jpg

Pic 3) PCB Layout
37616303.jpg

From Left to Right : PCB, 0.1uF Cap.(C2), LM317(U1), R1, 100 Ohm Res.(R2),
100 Ohm Pot.(R3), C1, D1, 47uF Al Cap.(C3), R4

1. Solder all component according to schematic - please be careful for C3 capacitor direction(short leg mean minus).
2. Check all soldered part and pin to pin connection carefully(must secure).
3. Connect ohm meter lead to "a" and "b" point.
4. Adjust multiturn potentiometer(R3) to your need resistor value - I recommand more than 12 ohm (clock wise turn will increase resistance and decrease current).
5. Discharge capacitor C3 - Charged energy can break diode immediately(It can prevent by install R4 risistor).
6. Connect LD to LD connector +/- before power ON, if connect LD after power ON, LD will die immediately.
7. Connect 8 to 20V power source to PWR connector +/-.​

ex)
Output Current 104mA(a to b resistance 12 ohm).​

I = 1.25/R
where I = Current, R = Resistance,
LD Module Must connect before power ON, if not the voltage will over LD limit(immediately die).
More than 110 mA can kill your diode shortly by heat - Max current limit circuit not included.
For use more current must consider U1 and R3 heat.

150mw ASSEMBLED KIT VIDEO:

YouTube - DIY 150 mW blu ray laser pointer (uncollimated) (REMEMBER THAT THIS KIT IS THE 150MW -104mw is recommended- AND MINES WILL BE 250MW -200mw recommened-)​

Last edited:

daguin

Re: Some questions about my next 250mw 405nm Laser

If it is "6X but not GGW" then it is an SF-AW210. The 210 needs to be run at no more than 180mA for long life. You CAN run it up to >350mA, but it will not live long at that current.

Peace,
dave

megha

Re: Blue ray Laser Kit from Ebay. SF-AW210 DIY 405nm 250mW (Uncollimated)

yes daguin, it`s an SF-AW210. Thanks for answering :)

jethro

WOW, nice review!

I was also considering that kit as my first build project, but I think I'll go with a portable. I'd really like to pop baloons at my next meteor shower party.

Can you recommend a good portable kit?

megha

WOW, nice review!

I was also considering that kit as my first build project, but I think I'll go with a portable. I'd really like to pop baloons at my next meteor shower party.

Can you recommend a good portable kit?

Hi, I`m also a newbye here. I`ve no idea of what I`ve built. I have just follow the guide :) I even don`t know what is a capacitor or a ressistance. So I can`t help you. My next buy will be this module:

DealExtreme: $46.81 200mW 532nm Green Laser Module (3V 11.9mm)

It`s ready to work. It`s real output is about 105mW for some, 75mW for other and 150mW for other. I believe it`s about 105mW (as jayrob said). This is not the best for burning but VERY visible.

I`ve testing my BR 405nm @ 170mA SF-AW210 today and I can light matches at 2,30mts. That`s good for 170mA with cheap acrylic lens !

I`m also killing the mosquitoes of my roof to sleep better now..

See you, then tell me what you`ll buy and which color are you looking for !

have fun
Ramiro

Unless you bought the glass lense, your laser probably isn;t putting out as much as you think. In the ad description the seller saysthe figures were obtained with a glass lense, he also went on to say they were sold seperately.

megha

Unless you bought the glass lense, your laser probably isn;t putting out as much as you think. In the ad description the seller saysthe figures were obtained with a glass lense, he also went on to say they were sold seperately.

You`re right, so I think that it is giving 130 / 135 mW @ 170mA with acrylic glasses. I can see how the laser light goes TOTALLY uncollimated. In the pics at the bottom you can see in the sand of the beach the laser light that is beeing loose.

have fun,
Ramiro

Kind of a necro thread now, but since i'm not the one digging it up...

Just ordered a 250mw kit (with glass lens and heatsink) from geareb on saturday, shipped out yesterday. Looking forward to building it and tweaking it. Did make sure to order some laser protection glasses (cover from the bluray range to the 532nm range).

Does anyone have any idea what diode the 250mw he sells would use?

Link to the auction

Not planning on pushing it too far, but since i don't plan to use it for more than 30 seconds or so at a time (pointless and dangerous to use it for too long anyways) i'm hoping to run it at 300mw.

The original poster said he was running with a 9v battery (what i was thinking of using) but i have seen people in other threads mention that they have issues maintaining voltage with a 9v. Still trying to find more about this (search tool isn't cooperating, 9v is too short, 9v battery returns any post with the word battery in it) but i'll keep looking. In the meantime, what sort of non-rechargeable (alkaline) batteries do people recommend when space is not an issue?

navrit

Hi everyone,

I have this kit, I am very sure that I have correctly soldered everything correctly. However, I can't find points A and B. Could someone please point them out?

megha

Hi everyone,

I have this kit, I am very sure that I have correctly soldered everything correctly. However, I can't find points A and B. Could someone please point them out?

Just follow the PCB layout, don`t use the schematic.

navrit

Nevertheless, at which points do I measure resistance? (And thanks for the quick response :D)

megha

Nevertheless, at which points do I measure resistance? (And thanks for the quick response :D)

I`ve no idea. I`ve just assembled it and measured the output power of the driver and set it to 170mA. Then it works. Sorry I don`t know what you need.

Toke

You look at the black 3-legged one marked with LM317 and mounted with a heatsink.

One of the legs is connected to your battery plus.
You just measure between the two others.

That will give you the resistance all the current for your diode have to go through, the idea is that that resistance will give a voltage drop of 1,25V, which the LM317 use to regulate the current. When you change the resistance with the potmeter it will take more or less current to achieve the 1,25V.

navrit

Thanks megha and Toke, would a slow increase in current with everything connected be safe for the diode?

Last edited: