Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Blue Ray DVD Writer - Diode Harvest

Gazoo

Re: Blue Ray DVD Writer - Diode Harvest?

Jay, I am very, very sorry this happened. I was reading another post somewhere the other day about the downfalls of using c-clamps to press diodes. This was a very expensive lesson for you, and should be a lesson for all. I am not getting down on you at all...believe me. I did not think there was anything wrong with using c-clamps until I ran across that post.

If the pin did not pull out of the diode, you might be able to save it. It is tedious but it has been done and I know you could do it. There is another thread somewhere in the experiments and mods section about this.

jayrob

Gazoo said:
Jay, I am very, very sorry this happened. I was reading another post somewhere the other day about the downfalls of using c-clamps to press diodes. This was a very expensive lesson for you, and should be a lesson for all. I am not getting down on you at all...believe me. I did not think there was anything wrong with using c-clamps until I ran across that post.

If the pin did not pull out of the diode, you might be able to save it. It is tedious but it has been done and I know you could do it. There is another thread somewhere in the experiments and mods section about this.

Thanks Gazoo...I'm afraid I'm just going to have to find a deal on another drive. Lol! We're way beyond fixing it now. Since the mistake, I have only compounded the problem. Naturally I first tried to dab some solder on the tip of some wire and just hope that the heat in the wire was enough...Lol! Next, in desperation, I used a tiny hand held drill to drill a small hole alongside the pin. That didn't work because I went just a little too deep and the pin came loose inside. Lol... Next, I went ahead and cut off the can. (Nothing to lose) I now have an open can broken blu-ray. I can see one of the 'fine hair' wires connected to the other pin, but I cannot see the other fine wire. I wonder if it can be repaired, now that the can is off? I have given up. Keep an eye out for a good deal on this drive and I will buy it. The one I got for under $300 was a used drive... (BWU-100A)
broken diode.jpg

Gazoo

I sent you a PM but here is the link where chimo did much the same. It may not help but it is good to have for future reference, although hopefully we won't need it...lol

http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1189268933/all-0

Man you were close, I am almost as frustrated as you are in a way.. damn. I will keep looking for a good deal on that drive.

jayrob

Wow...Those are some good close up pictures! That kind of repair is way beyond me. I can't even see the fine wire without a magnifying glass. Let alone try to re-connect one! I wonder if chimo would want to take a look at it. I think I'll ask him...
Jay

Jay,
I am so sorry :'( that happened to you and thanks for sharing.

I been using a rubber mallet and a 1/8 nut driver to install the diode, that works for me every time.

Attachments

• tools.JPG
    tools.JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 235

Aw bummer, i am bummed now too. But I have successfully repaired a red lead that burnt from overheating. I used a lead froma small led. Radio shack has a "miniaure microscope with light" for about $10. Those things help with small work like this. Good luck!

jayrob

Now I'm committed to this build! It's like one of those 'have to get back on the horse' type things. I don't know that I will even sleep well until I get past this! Lol... Found a refurbished one here for $395:
http://www.overstock.com/Electronic.../2941330/product.html?cid=99014&fp=F#moreinfo
Shipping is just about free. I'm just going to try to forget about my costly mistake. So now, lets all just pretend that we are still at the beginning of this build, and that I am going for a very BLUE, 445nm handheld, 50mW blu-ray burner for about $300 bucks! (like it was at the beginning)
Jay
Spec sheet - http://www.nichia.co.jp/specification/ld/NDHB510APAE1-E.pdf

On third thought, there are two new ones on e-bay:
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=bwu-100a&category0=
So, I canceled the re-furbished one at Overstock for now, and I am going to be bidding on these...
Jay

jayrob

I asked chimo if he would take a look at the diode even though I have already given up hope on it, and will buy anolther drive. (in fact, when I cut the can off, I noticed that the glass was 'tinted' a light blue color, so I don't have any hope left for this diode at all) But, he's going to take a look at it anyway, and take some of his macro pictures of it. Should be interesting at the very least. Thanks Paul!
Jay

jayrob said:
Now I'm committed to this build! It's like one of those 'have to get back on the horse' type things. I don't know that I will even sleep well until I get past this! Lol... Found a refurbished one here for $395:
http://www.overstock.com/Electronic.../2941330/product.html?cid=99014&fp=F#moreinfo
Shipping is just about free. I'm just going to try to forget about my costly mistake. So now, lets all just pretend that we are still at the beginning of this build, and that I am going for a very BLUE, 445nm handheld, 50mW blu-ray burner for about $300 bucks! (like it was at the beginning)
Jay
Spec sheet - http://www.nichia.co.jp/specification/ld/NDHB510APAE1-E.pdf

On third thought, there are two new ones on e-bay:
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=bwu-100a&category0=
So, I canceled the re-furbished one at Overstock for now, and I am going to be bidding on these...
Jay
Not sure if you seem these two. Sony blu-ray 4x burners.
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-SONY-BLU-RA...ryZ44956QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I ordered the New Sonar II DIY. And I have a 6X Blu-Ray Diode on the way. Anyone have experience with the WL Sonar DIY that would be helpful?

Thanks,

MERC

^^ wow you must have alot of spare cash to blow when you get them post lots of pics and vids.

jayrob

Midknight said:
I ordered the New Sonar II DIY. And I have a 6X Blu-Ray Diode on the way. Anyone have experience with the WL Sonar DIY that would be helpful?

Thanks,

Hey did you get the 6 X blu-ray diode yet? Sure am interested in the outcome...
Jay

To squash the diodes in modules i use a pair of vice grips, a small aluminum stand off and a penny to prevent the threads or front of the module from getting fubared. First put the diode in the hole, put the stand off on to pf the diode and penny below, then gently clamp the sandwich in a pair of vice-grips to get the diode in the hole firmly enough and get it leveled, than a firm squeeze sets it in. The whole process takes lass than 15 seconds a diode. Hope this helps, sorry to hear about diode fubaring :-[

jayrob

heruursciences said:
To squash the diodes in modules i use a pair of vice grips, a small aluminum stand off and a penny to prevent the threads or front of the module from getting fubared. First put the diode in the hole, put the stand off on to pf the diode and penny below, then gently clamp the sandwich in a pair of vice-grips to get the diode in the hole firmly enough and get it leveled, than a firm squeeze sets it in. The whole process takes lass than 15 seconds a diode. Hope this helps, sorry to hear about diode fubaring :-[

Thanks for sharing...I do have a good method with a bench mounted vice. I just got lazy with the 'c' clamp. Never again...
Jay

chimo

Jay, got it in the mail today. Definitely pooched. Here are a few macro shots.

Attachments

• BR_Jayrob_3.jpg
    BR_Jayrob_3.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 248

chimo

pic 2

Attachments

• BR_Jayrob_4.JPG
    BR_Jayrob_4.JPG
    199.6 KB · Views: 291