Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

blu-ray at 118mA working but not burning! why?

alx

rog8811 said:
I am not sure you will be able to light white paper, I can cut paper with my laser lighter with focus set at 45mm which is the edge of the lighter lid.... which keeps the laser in perfect focus. All I need to do is sit the lid on the paper and move the laser around.

Regards rog8811

Yes, 4.5cm sound realistic! That's why i asked. I will try few hours later when i'll be back at home... and post here results.

regards,
alx

alx

billg519 said:
It can be the diode. I have two PHR-893T's that when driven with 120mA read 62mW and 67mW respectively on my Lasercheck. Not very impressive, but they did come from reject sleds. My other PHR's do much better, all being well over 80mW when driven at 120mA. For focusing to burn, try focusing the laser at maybe 3 to 6", using black paper. The black paper will reflect less light back at you, so it will be easier to focus without laser goggles. You should be able to get a tiny burning spot easily this way. Then, just hold the laser at the same distance to test burn other colored items like white paper, etc.

We will see soon if the diode is not as good in quality. I have another one phr, which is waiting me, but i'm very busy now with some administrative problems. I am relocating from one city to another... In 1-2 weeks i'll be more relaxed, and able to perform more tests. I know about black paper (and dark objects) ... I asked here, just to be sure that i'm not expecting to obtain a feature which does not exist :)). But this night, i will test also ability to burn colored and black things at 3-6", and post here results ;-)

alx

alx

GooeyGus said:
what driver are you using?

the answer is: alx's driver.

I hope to release it here soon, in benefit of LPF community, at much lower rates than rkstar/lavadrive. is smd based, will fit perfect in aixiz, will be adjustable 30-450/500mA, powered from 6v up to 12V or 37V and already assembled. The prototype is finished for more than one month ago. Now, is a matter of time to realease it. And if all things goes in direction i want, the nice part is that will be available in small (1, 2 pieces per order) and large quantities (>100, >1000 or more). I am still waiting some answers from SMD manufacturers/suppliers (and here am i talking about prices, continuity, availability, quality, how faster can deliver small or large quantities, etc). I tested few of them and didn't take yet a decision. When i'll be ready, i will open a special thread for that.

Unfortunatelly, i am to busy (2-3 weeks maybe) with my relocation, but i hope to finish it soon... I have no idea if here will be a deal to sell it. I'm afraid that even it will be for free, LPF forum users cannot "eat" more then 100pieces/monthly... We will see ... And please don't ask me about price. not yet!

regards,
Alx

This sucks. I have has the same exact problem with my PHR laser. I ran it at 125mA and it would burn, so I cranked it up until it died at around 200mA

A nice safe 110ma out of the driver will give you a good burner as long as you get the following important things right:
1) Good power supply
2) Acrylic lens
3) Opened out lens nut
4) Accurate focussing

Regards rog8811

alx

finally, i'm almost done...

few days ago, i received housing torch for aixiz. being to tired, i missed to look at polarity when fit inside torch batteries (is a support which grouping 3xAAA batteries) and inserted in reverse polarity. After that, i screw the head of torch containing my blu-ray laser... suddenly, i felt a smell of burnt plastic and saw a lot of fog :-(...

I was absolutely sure that my laser diode has gone... I opend aixiz to inspect what is there...
- LM circuit - burnt (has some small surfaces on it which looks like it has been boiled :)))
- 2 capacitors (used for protection) - very very burnt (change its color from light brown to black)

I replaced all defective, checked the rest of the driver (off load and on load) -> Driver in parameters, working again. Tada... what about diode. I solder it back to LD and powered again. YUPIIII... is shining again a superb violet ... driver has do its job perfectly (it died protecting my diode)....

I continued and assembled my laser. Now is easier to use and focus it. Using goggles I focus it at 1 meter away. It lit matches in less than 1-2 seconds.

alx

alx

rog8811 said:
A nice safe 110ma out of the driver will give you a good burner as long as you get the following important things right:
1) Good power supply
2) Acrylic lens
3) Opened out lens nut
4) Accurate focussing

Regards rog8811

Indeed, all 4 conditions are mandatory! I opend the back of my lens and my laser is burning like a charm.

Regards,
Alx