Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

"Blobs" in the dot

I just got a blu-ray laser, and when i unfocus it there are blobs in the dot. it changes as i turn the laser. is this normal? if not what can cause this?

Attachments

• dot_right_side_up.jpg
    dot_right_side_up.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 89

tilted to the right

Attachments

• tilted_dot_right_side.jpg
    tilted_dot_right_side.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 86

jayrob

Sounds like the diode window is loose or broken. I have read that some have been able to glue it, or even remove it...
Jay

daguin

jayrob said:
Sounds like the diode window is loose or broken. I have read that some have been able to glue it, or even remove it...
Jay

I think Jay is right.  

Take out the batteries
Screw the lens all the way out (be mindful of the spring that is under it)
Look down into the aperture of the diode (You may have to use a light source)

Can you see the glass window reflecting all across the opening of the diode? Is it cracked or is part of it missing?

If you turn the laser while you are looking into the hole, do you see anything moving?

Peace,
dave

Definitely broken diode window. My first 6x build was like this, luckily it was just dislodged, not broken. I was able to 'rotate' it into the correct position ;D

i see something glistening in there when i rotate it to a certain point. is it fixable?

Attachments

• DSC06342.JPG
    DSC06342.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 87
another picture

Attachments

• DSC06341_jpg_resized.jpg
    DSC06341_jpg_resized.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 75

daguin

maxkillz said:
i see something glistening in there when i rotate it to a certain point. is it fixable?

I'm sorry. What do you mean by, "glistening"? Is the window in pieces? Is it moving? Use a magnifying glass if you need to.

(Did you taker the batteries out before you looked into it?)

Peace,
dave

daguin said:
[quote author=maxkillz link=1221172828/0#5 date=1221178944]i see something glistening in there when i rotate it to a certain point. is it fixable?

I'm sorry. What do you mean by, "glistening"? Is the window in pieces? Is it moving? Use a magnifying glass if you need to.

(Did you taker the batteries out before you looked into it?)

Peace,
dave[/quote]
it looks like a shard of something moves around in there, and yes the 9V battery is on my desk out of the laser

daguin

maxkillz said:
it looks like a shard of something moves around in there, and yes the 9V battery is on my desk out of the laser

If a "shard" is moving around in there, you may be screwed.  I would return it to whomever you bought it from and have them replace the diode.

Sometimes IF ONE IS REALLY LUCKY, the shard can be "glued" down, out of the way.  This is unlikely.  It is more likely that eventually, the shard will strike against one of the small wires in there and kill the diode.  Plus, in the mean time, you have to put up with interference with the beam.

Peace,
dave

P.S. Sorry about the "Dad" mode.

dang this sucks, i guess im not meant to own a blu-ray :'( thats 2 in a row that arrived and not function properly from 2 different people :-/ i mean this one is nice and all and it burns rather well but when it's defocused it's much worse than what the pictures look like. but when it's relatively small it looks fine

dad mode :-? :-? ;D

daguin

maxkillz said:
dang this sucks, i guess im not meant to own a blu-ray  :'( thats 2 in a row that arrived and not function properly from 2 different people  :-/ i mean this one is nice and all and it burns rather well but when it's defocused it's much worse than what the pictures look like. but when it's relatively small it looks fine

dad mode  :-? :-?  ;D

Well, if the builder can't or won't fix it, keep your eyes on the buy/sell/trade board tomorrow ;)

"Dad mode" = "Are you sure you're protecting your eyes?"

Peace,
dave

The seller of it should give you a refund or at least repair it for you free of charhge! If I were your seller i'd send you a completely new one.

If you are SOL and you cannot get it replaced I can attempt to repair it for you by removing the broken window glass on a best attempt basis for a flat $15.00 fee.

Also i can simply replace the diode outright for $40.00 delivered, with the repair fee deducted if it fails and is opted for.

Pm me if interested :)

daguin said:
[quote author=maxkillz link=1221172828/0#10 date=1221181403]dang this sucks, i guess im not meant to own a blu-ray :'( thats 2 in a row that arrived and not function properly from 2 different people :-/ i mean this one is nice and all and it burns rather well but when it's defocused it's much worse than what the pictures look like. but when it's relatively small it looks fine

dad mode :-? :-? ;D

Well, if the builder can't or won't fix it, keep your eyes on the buy/sell/trade board tomorrow ;)

"Dad mode" = "Are you sure you're protecting your eyes?"

Peace,
dave[/quote]
ah, i've been messing with lasers for about 8 years, though i got my first "high powered" ones only last year. I can't afford anything at this moment :'( i'm totally broke and someone broke into my truck and stole my PSP, radio, all my games and memory cards :'( :'( :'( so just as i got my truck fixed it gets broken into and now i'm out $400. could this day get any worse?

If the seller wont fix it, send it to me and I'll remove the can from the diode (I have the special 130-dollar tool meant for doing so) and re-assemble everything for free. You just pay to ship it to me.

This will fix the problem, but it also makes the diode a bit more fragile, so I would make sure to keep the lens in the laser at all times, and maybe even remove the spring that puts pressure on the lens.

caleb

i chucked out a 650nm 20X diode wth the window slanted a bit. could it still work?

it was when i thought it was safe to test diodes with 2 AA's (no driver) and it didnt light up.