Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

blinding little creatures.

Insects (and most other animals) use their other senses far more than we do. Therefore, you won't notice much of a difference even in the event of success.

danq

while I'm not anti-insect, or spider, I can see using a laser in defense or to eradicate a pest when needed - though probably in most situations a stick or newspaper would be more effective and sure of outcome.

But killing or maiming anything "for fun" is just sick. Minor symptom, major illness.

And with that bear: if you depend on a laser you'd better be able to blind both eyes completely and in a flash, plus run an evasive pattern at 30mph - because an enraged bear is not something you want to have nearby.

Scaring birds away is sometimes a very useful - or even necessary - thing to do. Green seems to work best, and here's the good part: it works just as well unfocused, so you don't need to blind them - just scare them.

Razako

This is about killing VERMIN. What difference does it make if you stomp pests with your shoe, burn them alive, cut them apart, fry them with electricity or blind them with a laser?

Blinding birds and tiny mammals like mice is a ghoulish thing to do, but bugs are simply pests.

As far as insects go, maybe, but they don't rely on vision as much as we do.
Birds? With enough power I'm sure but normally they will just fly away.
I use my X105 to scare off rabbits, squirrels, and birds from the peach tree in my yard.
And flies normally take off as soon as the dot gets close.

All the "flaming" is unnecessary.

We all know that being curious about the potential of high powered lasers or killing an insect does not automatically classify one as a serial killer or sadist. Right?
::)
Seriously guys, calm down.

i agree, everyone just needs to chill. burning bugs=ok. birds and other animals that live for more than a year=not cool. I don't even get how you would successfully blind a bird considering they have WINGS and would fly away as soon as they see the dot near them as said earlier...

and all this flaming will just attract the attention of "big brother" even more.

Razako said:
This is about killing VERMIN.  What difference does it make if you stomp pests with your shoe, burn them alive, cut them apart, fry them with electricity or blind them with a laser?

Blinding birds and tiny mammals like mice is a ghoulish thing to do, but bugs are simply pests.

I agree. Insects are not the same as for instance vertebrates. Probably everybody on this forum has chocked countless mosquitos to death using insecticide. But there's a difference in killings bugs because they annoy you (mosquitos, wasps, ants, etc) and in killing/mutilating them for sheer pleasure. In my opinion, everybody who takes pleasure in killing/mutilating/torturing even the smallest living creature should visit a psychiatrist.

Switch

So now Spyderz is gonna post youfail.org a few times and the thread gets locked?That's what happened to the other thread.... ::)

Razako

bobobob121 said:
i agree, everyone just needs to chill. burning bugs=ok. birds and other animals that live for more than a year=not cool. I don't even get how you would successfully blind a bird considering they have WINGS and would fly away as soon as they see the dot near them as said earlier...

and all this flaming will just attract the attention of "big brother" even more.
I think "big brother" has better things to do than watch a bunch of people argue about the ethics of killing bugs with lasers.

Razako said:
[quote author=bobobob121 link=1213246471/12#20 date=1213296136]i agree, everyone just needs to chill. burning bugs=ok. birds and other animals that live for more than a year=not cool. I don't even get how you would successfully blind a bird considering they have WINGS and would fly away as soon as they see the dot near them as said earlier...

I think "big brother" has better things to do than watch a bunch of people argue about the ethics of killing bugs with lasers. [/quote]

well according to Senkat, your dead wrong. this is one of the very few laser fan operated forums out there and im sure there are "people" monitoring us and making sure were not doing unjust things

What you do in your own home, hell, what I do in mine and what morals we follow is our own business. All I'm saying is lets at least keep the forum free from encouraging cruelty and sadism. For instance, I feel comfortable using >100mW lasers without goggles in the right circumstances and I hardly feel a 15mW laser is a serious threat. Then again, I stay firm in promoting the use of goggles for anything 5mW or above. You can easily cast aside your responsibility to yourself, but you should never lose your responsibility towards others (if they want to, that's a decision they'll make on their own anyway). Make of that what you wish - I honestly didn't bother to read this entire thread.

Razako

bobobob121 said:
[quote author=Razako link=1213246471/12#23 date=1213297703][quote author=bobobob121 link=1213246471/12#20 date=1213296136]i agree, everyone just needs to chill. burning bugs=ok. birds and other animals that live for more than a year=not cool. I don't even get how you would successfully blind a bird considering they have WINGS and would fly away as soon as they see the dot near them as said earlier...

I think "big brother" has better things to do than watch a bunch of people argue about the ethics of killing bugs with lasers. [/quote]

well according to Senkat, your dead wrong. this is one of the very few laser fan operated forums out there and im sure there are "people" monitoring us and making sure were not doing unjust things[/quote]
I guess it might make sense if a large group of members here were planning laser attacks on airplanes or other "laser terrorist" activity. Imo anyone planning that kind of stuff would do so through PM though so monitoring the forum is rather pointless. (imagines a group of Australian national security workers monitoring this forum night and day) ;D

i could see that happening too. lol. But in reality, the government would hire "hackers" of some sort or just flash their shiny badges at the owner to access private information this site. But either way, i think its a possibility.

RA_pierce said:
Birds? With enough power I'm sure but normally they will just fly away.
I use my X105 to scare off rabbits, squirrels, and birds from the peach tree in my yard.
And flies normally take off as soon as the dot gets close.

The X-series isn't known for it's magnificent divergence and at a bird's distance you're lucky to get 10% of the power in the pupil for more than a split-second. And even then, they have a second eye.

you missed my point entirely senkat,pity,as you seem like an intelligent person. :(

I shined one of my green pointers at a house centipede on my wall, and it immediately stopped crawling, as if it was frozen like a deer in headlights. That gave me a minute to grab a rolled up magazine and smash it. House centipedes are quick and they will just drop off walls and ceilings if they see you coming - so the laser effectively "dazzled" the bug.

But in general, a fly swatter, magazine, bug spray or shooting and hitting them with a thick rubber band (works great if you have a good aim like I do and can't reach the bug any other way) works best.

I've shined a high-powered greenie at the feet of squirrels but the ones around here must be green color-blind as they are oblivious to the bright green dot moving around on the ground near them. But I had better luck buying one of those bird feeders that close up when a squirrel gets on it so they can't steal the seed....