Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

BlackBuck 8M PWM Control

DeathStarLaserGuy20

I’ve read all the docs I could find on the subject but can’t figure this out. The BlackBuck 8M on DTRs site says it can be controlled via PWM signal but what is really going on? Is that PWM signal actually adjusting the output current or is it just switching the output current on/off fast enough to effectively lower the rms wattage? I suspect the latter as that’s my understanding of modulation.

If it’s just switching on/off does anyone have any thoughts on using a digital potentiometer like a AD5206 to set the maximum output current?

Anthony P

LPF Site Supporter
I can not speak to the PWM. However, I have successfully used a 10k pot for analog adjustment several times with BB8.

paul1598419

Those 8 amp BB drivers do use a 10K pot to adjust the power level from a set maximum down to no output. But, they aren't PWM modulated.

DeathStarLaserGuy20

thanks guys. I kept reading on it all night and am convinced the PWM control is just turning it on/off so I’m going to go the real long way around , starting with just a regular 10k pot, and moving onto an Arduino that reads a PWM signal and sets a digital pot. I’ll try to update this post once that’s done.