Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

BigBoy 450!

Well this guy weighs in at 1.25 Lbs... 1700mw The host came from the recent group buy Ryansoh3 set up. Euda made the heatsinks and focus adapters. I used a 1650ma FMT driver a PLTB450 diode and G2Lens from DTR and some 18650 3400mAh Panasonic batteries from Larry. I started with a copper 5.6mm module... yikes! DID I forget to check it out first I should have checked all the threading on it before I assembled it all... F!@# Short story the lens threads were screwed up So I had to press out the diode and start over in a new module. Luckily it all panned out in the end... Here are the results...

IMG_5404 by Kizdawg, on Flickr

IMG_5317 by Kizdawg, on Flickr

IMG_5320 by Kizdawg, on Flickr

IMG_5418 by Kizdawg, on Flickr

IMG_5325 by Kizdawg, on Flickr

IMG_5422 by Kizdawg, on Flickr

IMG_5421 by Kizdawg, on Flickr

Here is the module.. Wow was it dirty! I should have seen it coming....

IMG_5328 by Kizdawg, on Flickr

IMG_5411 by Kizdawg, on Flickr

IMG_5415 by Kizdawg, on Flickr

IMG_5414 by Kizdawg, on Flickr

This is a just under peak read... It Settles in arround 1670mw!!! Oh this is a 150C Ophir head sensor you have to x10 to get your read..

IMG_5409 by Kizdawg, on Flickr

BEAM SHOTS!!! Notice it looks out of alignment... The Diode itself after module extraction lookes slightly damaged in the can... I think that is why the beam seems to come out at a slight angle.. But I seriously didnt think that this was going to survive at all...

IMG_5405 by Kizdawg, on Flickr

IMG_5406 by Kizdawg, on Flickr

IMG_5407 by Kizdawg, on Flickr

40' out back... sorry the focus is bad I want to take more shots but Working on the post atm.. and I cant find the LPM's from the laserbee 'which say average of 1600mw'...

IMG_5397 by Kizdawg, on Flickr

Well there she be.. I am going to add some diode comparison shots later tonight with some LPM charts.

Anyway's I hope you like it...

Last edited:

Nice build bro. I'm glad at least the diode still dishes out photons after that dangerous surgery. I'll bet with that whopper of a host your duty cycles are quite long.

As soon as I finished my osram build and powered it up I instantly loved the look of the beam. It may be less power than a full out M140 but it has a tighter beam with a better divergence so they are great diodes.

Blord

The Big Boy laser is a very popular host. I see you have already three laying around.
I was also ordering the Sky Ray King but it was sold out now I see why :)

Ummm Soz Blord! When I saw them I had to jump in on them too expecially in Black! All I had seen up untill then was the Gold ones! (Not my bag of tea!) And yes thanks for the GB Ryan it's allway's nice to get in on them to save a few $$$ and get some geat stuff!..

I am looking at the possibility of getting a DPSS module put into the skyray either a 473nm or 671nm. If that wont work then I will just have a heatsink made for it or keep it as a flashlight there super bright lights!

I really need o grab myself a skyray king but right now they go for $55.50 under the name of FandyFire UV-S5 on DX. I am unsure if they are actually the same driver or not but it looks identical in every way even down to the logo on the end. My last super flashlight buy I opted for a Trustfire TR-J12 and I am waiting on that beast to arrive.

I am thinking about getting one of DTR's skyray hosts and dropping in a 100mW DPSS module from DX. I wonder how well those modules actually work and if they put out as much as they claim though...

TBH the sky ray will need some work machining on the heatsink because of the side button I am going to let JayRob take a look at it for me to see what can be done I was hoping for a DPSS but I dont think it's a good choice. will wait and see.