Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

big time experiment :) MXDL 12V mod ~120mA Blu Ray

Re: big time experiment :) MXDL 12V mod ~120mA Blu

rkcstr said:
Hey sk8er, I let you know that mine was running at 5.15V when I pushed 150mA into the 803T, which would mean you should be able to get away with about 7.5V.  BUT, the way these (or any diode) is, higher current means higher voltage.  So, if you're pushing higher than 150mA, expect to input higher voltage as well.

Also, these diodes are highly variable, so, some may need higher voltage at the same current than others while some will require less.

And, the 6x Diodes also seem to be less efficient and I expect they will require higher voltage than the 803T diodes at the same current, but they can also be driven at a higher peak current, allowing them to put out higher peak power as well.  But, I don't have one, so I can't say for sure.

As a side note, the Fusiondrive has a 1V drop out voltage because it uses a different design, which is why it will operate at lower voltages. But, it requires some extra parts, which is partly why it's close to 3x larger in size than mine.  I'm not sure I could fit all that on my board  ;)

Your drivers are still my go-to driver :) :)

I still have two originals from the very first batch!!! hehe... :eek: :eek:

IgorT

Re: big time experiment :) MXDL 12V mod ~120mA Blu

rkcstr said:
And, the 6x Diodes also seem to be less efficient and I expect they will require higher voltage than the 803T diodes at the same current, but they can also be driven at a higher peak current, allowing them to put out higher peak power as well.  But, I don't have one, so I can't say for sure.

Higher power diodes always need more current to reach the same power, up to a certain point.

But the 6x needs on average 1V less, than a PHR... The PHR is almost strange with it's high voltage requirement.