Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

BFG/Phraug Laser

Hello, while the BFG website is setting up, the lasers can be purchased at it's old site at www .phraug.com/laser
The final price is set at $280 USD for US/Canadian customers. International orders are $299.99. The price will cannot go any lower than that. The lasers before at $230 were sold at a loss, so you can imagine, the markup here is very very small.

Shipment occurs 1 day after payment is made, and takes up to 12 business days, and includes delivery confirmation number and also insurance.

I'm in the process of looking for a better collimnator lens and a more powerful diode that might handle 2 CR123 batteries without burning the diode out, and also to custom design a box. The factory boxes are quite plain, and without a logo. If anyone would like to try designing a simple logo (complex or elaborate logos are very costly to imprint on a box), you are welcome to do so. To make it simple, the logo can only be composed of 2 colors. The box would be one color, and the 2nd color would be the lettering and/or a design. This same logo will eventually be imprinted on the handlegrip of the laser itself. Simplicity is the key. I'm not looking for anything super elaborate.

The timeline for this would be quite far away in regards to the CR123 batteries and the logo on the laser. The logo on the box would come first. Then the batteries and the laser logo would probably come about at the same time.

At this time, there wil be no prize for the logo design. It's just a quick job somebody might want to do for those that might have some extra time on their hands and would like to contribute.

-BFG Lasers

I've posted some close up shots in the multimedia threat for those who are curious.

I'm somewhat curious. I'd like to take a poll regarding this. I'm not certain that I believe the potential harm due to IR radiation is as great as described. I've tried to look up primary literature in Ophthalmology journals and came up with very little. If the IR poses insignificant health risks, I would like to know who would prefer a laser without an IR lens purely to increase it's burning power.

Since I can opt to offer the same laser, simply with or without the IR lens. Once they are assembled, they cannot be disassembled without significant damage to the casing and painting. This is intentionally done, as any attempt to disassemble it beyond removing the top cap to clean the lens will be evident and will void the warranty.

S

SenKat

I say leave the IR filter in place - as it will degrade the performance of the laser. The IR from a non-filtered pointer is poorly collimated, and fans out quickly so as to not pose much of a threat. The presence of loads of IR in the beam does degrade the beam quality - and it will ony aid the lasers burning capabilities for up close operations. I am not certain what the actual cost involved is in your case, but I cannot imagine it being a significant cost save to produce them without IR filters - is it ?

Kenom

I tend to agree with SenKat on this. I do like burning power but the only place it's going to benefit you is closer to the aperature and that kind of IR IS dangerous to the eyes. Specially without any kind of IR goggles. We cannot look at the burning going on if the output power is including IR and the intense reflection right there we are trying to see is shining right in your eyes from only a foot away or so. If you were to include some laser goggles to help this problem it would defeat the purpose of trying to reduce costs.

I particularly am looking forward to seeing a case available for this. Hopefully you take my suggestion and go with something akin to the Novalasers case it's very nice and gives you plenty of room for other lasers and optics and whatnot. I'm getting quite a collection of lasers and would be nice to be able to put them all in there.

I'm going to work on a logo for ya but I'm not too sure I will come up with anything real good but will work on it.

That casing looks like the type I have for my poker chip set. A little too elaborate and expensive for shipping. Especially since Canadian shipping is crazy expensive. I was looking more towards a harder cardboard box similar to the one WL uses.

Kenom

Boy ya know when it comes to quality people are willing to spend more money.  I know particularly that the Hercules lasers from laserglow.com are very very spendy.  I will have one.  I will save money until I own one.  I will buy one of those before I buy a house.   I'm willing to spend the extra money for a quality built product.  but I do that for everything.  I buy quality wiper blades for my car instead of replacing them every 6 months.  I buy quality products so I don't have to buy another to replace shoddy workmanship.  I'm going to replace every single light bulb in my house with LED fixtures.  I'll go with quality any day.

My .02¢

Freaking having to spend a lot of money here just giving my .02¢ :)

I've email nova to see if they will sell thier cases seperatley as I must have one of those cases. Heck I might go down and beat up SenKat for his. :p

S

SenKat

Kenom said:
I've email nova to see if they will sell thier cases seperatley as I must have one of those cases.  Heck I might go down and beat up SenKat for his.  :p

BRING IT JUNIOR ! :cool: ::)

Kenom said:
My .02¢

Freaking having to spend a lot of money here just giving my .02¢  :)

I've email nova to see if they will sell thier cases seperatley as I must have one of those cases.  Heck I might go down and beat up SenKat for his.  :p

I emailed them a while ago to see if they would sell cases separately, they said yes, their figuring out how much to sell them for and said they would be up on the site shortly. Still email them, maybe seeing that more than just one person is interested will speed them up with getting the cases on their site.

Kenom

Hehehehehe. I wouldn't do that to him anyway as it wouldn't be fair with his cane and all. Pickin on old people isn't nice.

S

SenKat

I'm not even gonna tell you what's hidden in this cane, either ! Muahahahahahaha !