Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Better heat conduction with Ag

Have you seen a 100% copper host? They are awesome to look at. I wouldn't electroplate it with anything less than gold.

bringing back the post to live has anyone used IC Diamond 7 Carat Thermal between the module and host !!

bringing back the post to live has anyone used IC Diamond 7 Carat Thermal between the module and host !!

Three years ago I started making a heat sink compound with very fine grit diamond powder and silver heat sink compound in a 50% by weight ratio. It has work well for me. I got the diamond powder from Ali Baba and still get daily emails from them to buy more.

Three years ago I started making a heat sink compound with very fine grit diamond powder and silver heat sink compound in a 50% by weight ratio. It has work well for me. I got the diamond powder from Ali Baba and still get daily emails from them to buy more.

Commercially, ShinEtsu makes a very fine diamond thermal paste that is still revered by some overclockers. It's got a very good W/m C rating.

Interesting experiment. Nothing, I repeat nothing beats InSn foil TIM in this regard.

Benm

It is always a balance between thermal conductivity and contact area.

Diamond is obviously a very good thermal conductor, but makes poor mechanical contact - it's hard, brittle and solid.

If the gap you need to bridge is very small, a soft material that shapes to the area required will usually be better, indium-tin compounds being a good example. This is almost as good as soldering things together, despite a material like tin-lead or leadfree solder being very poor heat conductors.

Thermal pastes often have a bit of both: good thermal conductors like aluminia, silver or berylium oxide mixed in a paste or resin of relatively poorly conductive material that fills the gaps.

You do need to decide if it's required for the thermally conductive material to be an electrical isolator to make a good choice though!