Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

besy way to record lasers?

my stupid "Smart" phone .. cant catch my 300 mw green or my 1 watt blue .. i have no idea why .

what do you guys prefer to record them ?

Gabe

Not sure exactly which phone you have, but a sure fire way to make the beams visible to a camera or your eyes is smoke. Not like cigarettes, but like invest in a fog machine. It'll be worth it.

my stupid "Smart" phone .. cant catch my 300 mw green or my 1 watt blue .. i have no idea why .

what do you guys prefer to record them ?

All taken with an Xperia S, which is 3 and a half years old by now (jeez, it just occurred to me :D )

What do all of these have in common?

They are all taken at night, or very dark conditions (even the room photo with a desk lamp is magnitudes darker than outside sunlight). Snapping a phone photo in dark conditions requires several attempts and VERY steady hands because they need a very long exposure time.

Outside one with 3 color lasers is taken in fog, you can tell by surrounding environment and large halos around street lamps.

If snapping a photo would be a simple, "professional photographer" would not be a thing. You need to know the capabilities of your camera and how to use them to your advantage. Phone cameras usually tend to over-expose scenes, and photos produced are very high on the contrast levels. Use that, use dark environment, some fog/smoke, and a very steady hand. Play around with Night/Default scenes (sometimes even Document preset works nice), On/Off flash and distances to the thing you wish to photograph.

Nothing ever beats a half-decent DSLR with decent settings applied, though:

In my opinion, perceived "stupidity" of an inanimate machine is just it's user's incompetence worded differently. Whenever somebody says "My computer/laptop/tablet/phone/[misc. machine] is stupid", all I hear is volumes about the person saying it, really. Is it so unbearably painful to just go out and say "Look, I can't take a decent photo, here's my camera/phone model, some help or tips?"?

Last edited:
Not sure exactly which phone you have, but a sure fire way to make the beams visible to a camera or your eyes is smoke. Not like cigarettes, but like invest in a fog machine. It'll be worth it.

even by the fire i had going last night it wouldnt catch it

its a ZTE .. its a pile of crap just curious what you guys record with

Gabe

Well I suppose if the fires outside then the wind will carry it away. You might have to stick to indoor shots. If you don't have a fog machine yet, then cooking can make some nice smoke. I've gotten great shots from bacon smoke :)

i find it hard to believe, that kind of strong lasers is only problem getting focus but if u try take pics whats the problem u dont see the beam at all? is it out of focus only or... u shouldnt need any fog taking pics of that kind of laser power even when its dark a 300 laser will really make a dark room seem bright ,even a 1w laser will look crazy..

Last edited:

APEX1

A 532 under 100mw I find hard to get a good beam shot without fog, unless you have a great camera phone but I could be wrong.. but the 1w 445 or 450 you should have no problem with

go buy some food grade GLYCERN & DISTILLED WATER to make a fog solution. dump 3 teaspoons into a foil bowl and place it over a candle and there you gooooo. a home made fog machine lol

Last edited:
not true my 520 100mW green is very bright in a dark room so a 532 should be a bit more even to the camera, even a shity camera should be able to capture the beam pretty good. U dont need a fog machine for 100mW or more if u ask me..

Last edited:
Usually a DSLR or point and shot camera works best for me. Inside with a fog machine is best of course. Snow, mist, smoke or fog outside does the trick.
If you use incense inside that works too.

APEX1

not true my 520 100mW green is very bright in a dark room so a 532 should be a bit more even to the camera, even a shity camera should be able to capture the beam pretty good. U dont need a fog machine for 100mW or more if u ask me..

That's why I said I could be wrong lol I just no with my 520's I have no problem getting a good beam shot with any camera I use but the 532 under 100 mw on the other hand seems to have a problem unless there is fog or smoke involved. like I said, it could just be my crappy camera phone.

Last edited:
Or, you know, like I said, everything's in ambient lighting levels and your camera's exposure settings.

My post does appear up there, right?