Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Best way to view NIR?

anoman890

Hi guys.

What would be the best way to view NIR light without spending thousands? Specifically 980nm.

Primarily, i want to see the point. It would also be helpful to see where reflections are bouncing if possible.
When i brought my laser i was going to rip apart an old cctv camera and use that, but im trying to avoid that now.

Ive considered several items from edmund optics (i cant post links yet):
Card
Wand
Detection Head
YA Glass T Filters
High power laser beam visualisers

Please could anybody give me some insight into the differences between the above and what i can do and cant do with them? I cant seem to find a good explanation of what each item actually does onlinr.

Does anybody know a cheaper alternative to the hand held IR scopes? I dont mind spending several hundred pounds but £2000 is a bit too much.

Would a simple, cheap, night vision viewer from ebay allow me to see the dot and beam? Or is this a poor method of doing it?

Apologies for all the question, the only answers i could find online were from sites trying to sell me stuff, and there doesnt appear to be anything on this ok youtube.

Thanks

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
I'm not entirely sure of what range of IR it covers but your cell phone should pick it up

Most cell phone cams have an IR filter as do most handheld digital cams, but security cams have a little filter that moves in and out of place to allow the cam to see IR at night, it's easy to remove if you have worked with electronics/small devices.

Hobby cams come with and without filters as do the build your own raw parts/CCD units.

There's also a lot of digital night vision today and it's inexpensive.

I have used a VR goggle with onboard cam which also provides protection.

I have not used this specific model or this one, but it should work for your purposes.

Remember to always lase safely and exercise proper laser safety, NIR needs to be handled with extra care, make sure to install an aperture shutter and ON indicator when building your device as to help prevent an accident.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Maybe its just newer phones then that have the filters because my note 4 can see my tv remotes ir led

Maybe its just newer phones then that have the filters because my note 4 can see my tv remotes ir led
Note 4 has an IR cut filter, however even with the filter you can see a bright spot up close, such as looking right at a remote control emitter, but it will appear much dimmer than it would otherwise.

To view IR beams in the air you will need to remove the filter.

Note: Removing the filter can cause daylight images to look pinkish/hazy, this is why security cameras have a filter that moves into and out of place for day and night viewing, so removing the IR cut filter is not recommended for your EDC picture taking phone.

Last edited: