Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Best way to remove anodizing and polish up a host?

Yeah it's on the label, So it'll work it's just the question of how well.. :whistle:

I'll report back with the results and with any luck turn this into a tutorial thread

1+ guys! Thanks

Well she's done!

I plan on buying a bench grinder and I'll do most of the polishing that way then go over it with a dremel

After that I'll get a killer heatsink and do the same then slap in a 445nm :D
Also the fins there are just asking for some glow in the dark o-rings
6f321a87-fe9b-440d-8ea7-bd839feb776f_zps128cbfe8.jpg

EDIT: After a rag and some polish it's a bit cleaner

photo2_zps0bb565f4.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice!! That's going to be a sweet looking host!

A tip for polishing the deeper grooves- Use some thick cotton string with some polishing compound on it and work it into the grooves.
I spin mine on my lathe while doing so but I figure you may not have access to one.

Very nice!! That's going to be a sweet looking host!

A tip for polishing the deeper grooves- Use some thick cotton string with some polishing compound on it and work it into the grooves.
I spin mine on my lathe while doing so but I figure you may not have access to one.

Thanks! Yeah it turned out much better than I thought it would, Should look good in the end!

Unfortunately I don't have access to a lathe anymore :yabbem:
I was looking at getting a mini lathe possibly for spinning up small heatsinks and hosts in the future..

I took photos of the entire stripping process so I'll try and do up a tutorial soon for others to go about doing it themselves!

Last edited:
Nice work! I am glad you had success it always feels good to learn something new ;)

If those grooves look as good in person as they do on the picture, i'd leave them. Polish the whole thing and leave the black rings. Would look nice.

Oo that looks pretty! Thinking about it I might leave the black o-rings in they look pretty good in person

I might have to get in contact with Mrcrouse now :rolleyes:

Hi guys, sorry for replying to this old thread but I didn't want to open a new one. What ratio must the drain cleaner be to water? There is instructions on my bottle for removing old paint but I'm sure anodizing will be different. Thank you very much!

EDIT: This is for the crystals, not the liquid

Last edited: