Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Best Driver for an 8x/12x?

Hey guys,

Im a total noob looking to start a new 405 nm build, and I was wondering what drivers would you reccomend for an 8x or a 12x diode, I have been looking into the flexdrive and the RCKSTR v3, and I was wondering if you had any suggestions for either, this post is so I can figure out materials and the such. Also, what kind of other parts should I need, Apart from the diode, driver, and the batteries. What kind of host should last the longest at 500 mW + power? Thank You!

Last edited:

Hey guys,

Im a total noob looking to start a new 405 nm build, and I was wondering what drivers would you reccomend for an 8x or a 12x diode, I have been looking into the flexdrive and the RCKSTR v3, and I was wondering if you had any suggestions for either, this post is so I can figure out materials and the such. Also, what kind of other parts should I need, Apart from the diode, driver, and the batteries. What kind of host should last the longest at 500 mW + power? Thank You!

Driver , I would recommend the new Microboost from Dr Lava

http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/i...s-portable-lasers-kenom-fundraiser-49907.html

Lens, Jayrob's 405-g1 mod

http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/fs-405-g-1-glass-lens-mod-31-increase-vs-aixiz-22497.html

Host, talk to Ehgemus he can build you a 18650 all aluminum host, or a Jayrob host

http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/fs-18650-build-kit-easy-assembly-blu-ray-red-43857.html

A 18650 should give you great run times.

Last edited:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/i...s-portable-lasers-kenom-fundraiser-49907.html

http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/fs-405-g-1-glass-lens-mod-31-increase-vs-aixiz-22497.html

Host, talk to Ehgemus he can build you a 18650 all aluminum host, or a Jayrob host

http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/fs-18650-build-kit-easy-assembly-blu-ray-red-43857.html

18650 build kit is a C6 host, IIRC, and will not do a good job in heatsinking as there is not enough room for massive aluminum heatsink.

Full-body host from Ehgemus is highly reccomendable, ask him to make Aixiz-less host, with machined out diode pocket in the heatsink itself.

You want the best lifetime out of your diode.
If you can split $150 for a diode, you can sure add $50 in order to last longer.

daguin

18650 build kit is a C6 host, IIRC, and will not do a good job in heatsinking as there is not enough room for massive aluminum heatsink.

Full-body host from Ehgemus is highly reccomendable, ask him to make Aixiz-less host, with machined out diode pocket in the heatsink itself.

You want the best lifetime out of your diode.
If you can split $150 for a diode, you can sure add $50 in order to last longer.

Although I will grant that one of the Ehgemus hosts or something like a Kryton will give more heat sinking, that doesn't mean that the heat sink in the 18650 kit is inadequate. The heat sink in Jayrob's 18650 kit is perfectly fine.

We run them, without issue, in even smaller hosts (like the pocket-mini)

Peace,
dave

jayrob

Thanks Dave! :thanks:

Yes that's true...

And also, my 18650 kit is available with a copper heatsink upgrade! :) (although the aluminum heatsink is just fine)

Would the new Microboost from Dr Lava work with that housing, and what 8x/12x diode would you recommend?

Would the new Microboost from Dr Lava work with that housing, and what 8x/12x diode would you recommend?

Yes that is the driver that I am saying would work. follow the link I provided.

Also, with 8x diodes, you can push them pretty far, but a 12x has been seen to be pushed extremely far.

For example , you can get an 8x to hit 500mw's and a 12x to 800mw's.

These would take a large amount of current but doable.

Your choice, the difference is only the price.

At this point you need to start looking in the buy/sell/trade section for parts or buy an entirely prebuilt unit.

daguin

Yes that is the driver that I am saying would work. follow the link I provided.

Also, with 8x diodes, you can push them pretty far, but a 12x has been seen to be pushed extremely far.

For example , you can get an 8x to hit 500mw's and a 12x to 800mw's.

These would take a large amount of current but doable.

Your choice, the difference is only the price.

At this point you need to start looking in the buy/sell/trade section for parts or buy an entirely prebuilt unit.

These diodes have NOT been run very long at these currents. We have and continue to loose them at these high currents. If you are willing to risk a $150-$200 diode then follow his advice. If loosing a $200 diode would hurt your heart or wallet, limit it significantly below these suggested currents for now.

Peace,
dave

These diodes have NOT been run very long at these currents. We have and continue to loose them at these high currents. If you are willing to risk a $150-$200 diode then follow his advice. If loosing a $200 diode would hurt your heart or wallet, limit it significantly below these suggested currents for now.

Peace,
dave

My advice pointed out that they have been run "up to"those powers

I didnt mention any specific current.

@OP
Because you may set your driver to a high(er) than normal doesnt mean you will lose the diode. But Daguin does have a good point to where since the price is high , it would be wise to set it conservatively for longer life.

daguin

@OP
Because you may set your driver to a high(er) than normal doesnt mean you will lose the diode. But Daguin does have a good point to where since the price is high , it would be wise to set it conservatively for longer life.

You are funny. No you didn't mention any specific current. Neither did I. However, I am willing to admit that it takes higher current to get those specific higher outputs that you did mention. Are you? Trying to separate current and output in these types of lasers is disingenuous at best and possibly misleading to the uninitiated.

In addition, the main thrust of the comment was that you and some others are making judgments (and recommendations) about how high to run these diodes based on info gathered from lasers that have not been running much more than 3-5 months. 3-5 months is NOT long enough to accept that these can be run at these higher currents/outputs. In addition, several of them have failed at those outputs.

For example, with the PHR we had a few running at 200mA. Many running at 150mA. Now that the PHR has been arpound for more than a year, the actual recommended safe current is <120mA

Now if a $10 PHR only lasts 6 months, not many much care. However, if your $200 12X dies at 6 months, will you be just as happy?

Peace,
dave

@OP

When posting info always give a safe average, and then give a max rating, with a note on consequences. We try to save people form making a mistake. Especially a $150-$200 mistake. A n00b could easily interpret your post as saying set your 8X to 500mW. Either case your post is wrong because you could push a 12X to over a watt. It wont last long, but it has been done.

jayrob

12X recommended...

Pioneer BDR-205 drive from a seller with good feedback on e-bay for about $190. Or sometimes you can find the drive with free shipping from Newegg.

I would recommned starting with a PHR because diodes are sensitive and easy to kill. Most people will kill a diode or two in the learning process.

But when you go for the 12X, 350mA's is pretty conservative. And if you get a high efficiency diode, that would be right around 500mW's. (405-G-1)

But as was discussed, people are pushing them much higher. See all of the known LPF 12X owners with their build data here:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f38/12x-br-diodes-46798.html

You are funny. No you didn't mention any specific current. Neither did I. However, I am willing to admit that it takes higher current to get those specific higher outputs that you did mention. Are you? Trying to separate current and output in these types of lasers is disingenuous at best and possibly misleading to the uninitiated.

In addition, the main thrust of the comment was that you and some others are making judgments (and recommendations) about how high to run these diodes based on info gathered from lasers that have not been running much more than 3-5 months. 3-5 months is NOT long enough to accept that these can be run at these higher currents/outputs. In addition, several of them have failed at those outputs.

For example, with the PHR we had a few running at 200mA. Many running at 150mA. Now that the PHR has been arpound for more than a year, the actual recommended safe current is <120mA

Now if a $10 PHR only lasts 6 months, not many much care. However, if your $200 12X dies at 6 months, will you be just as happy?

Peace,
dave

When posting info always give a safe average, and then give a max rating, with a note on consequences. We try to save people form making a mistake. Especially a $150-$200 mistake. A n00b could easily interpret your post as saying set your 8X to 500mW. Either case your post is wrong because you could push a 12X to over a watt. It wont last long, but it has been done.

I fully agree with these posts and should have advised for safe currents.