Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Best AAA rechargeble batteries

Hi everybody,

Which AAA rechargeble battery would you consider as the best when used in lasers?
How important is the capacity? Is it right that higher mAh rating= More power and more battery life?

Regards Marcus

Wanjiru said:
Hi everybody,

Which AAA rechargeble battery would you consider as the best when used in lasers?
How important is the capacity? Is it right that higher mAh rating= More power and more battery life?

Regards Marcus

the H in mAh stands for hour. For example if you ralser is 200 mA, and you have a 200mAh battery, your battery will last about 1 hour. USing NiMH batteries seems to hold a charge better, they don't lose charge over time as fast as NiCads for example.

If I were using AAA rechargeble batteries for my laser I would go for an 'ultra low discharge' NiMH like Uniross Hybrio or Sony Enelop.

The reason being, the laser won't draw many amps of current from your battery and if you use normal NiMH the self discharge would more likely be 'draining' the NiMH's capacity rather than the laser itself. Conventional NiMH batteries loose about 20% of its capacity every month by itself.

Our diode lasers aren't high current devices. By the way this only applies to Diode lasers which we are driving with our LM317 drivers. The commercial bar type or fiber lasers and other chemical types are obviously high Amperage heheheheh

Gazoo

cyclonite said:
If I were using AAA rechargeble batteries for my laser I would go for an 'ultra low discharge' NiMH like Uniross Hybrio or Sony Enelop.

The eneloops are made by Sanyo, and I recommend the AAA and AA eneloops over any other nimh battery...hands down.

I thought I typed Sanyo. lol.

But are the eneloops good? If you notice their AAs are only 2000mAh whereelse other ultra low discharge batteries are 2100mAh at the moment. 1 example is the uniross hybrio.

Thx.

Gazoo

cyclonite said:
I thought I typed Sanyo. lol.

But are the eneloops good? If you notice their AAs are only 2000mAh whereelse other ultra low discharge batteries are 2100mAh at the moment. 1 example is the uniross hybrio.

Thx.

Yes I know they are excellent, I know what I am talking about and would not say Eneloops are the best if I didn't believe it!

I have researched the different LSD batteries and there has been a substantial amount of testing done on them by members of CPF. You can read through the following thread and become enlightened... ;D

http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1196628709

i have a bag full of energizer and duracell and other rechargables just sitting in a drawer. I now use eneloop for everything (Cept my lasers)

rechargables only give 1.2v and regular give 1.5v. so for me, i use 3xaaa and if i used rechargables, id have to add a 4th battery.

Darn I should have tried eneloops :(

Ok can one of you please do me a big favour and take a look at an eneloop AA and let me know the charging requirements? e.g. charge at xxmA for xx hours. I just wanna see if my charger will do it.

Thanks guys. Appreciate it.

Gazoo

cyclonite said:
Darn I should have tried eneloops :(

Ok can one of you please do me a big favour and take a look at an eneloop AA and let me know the charging requirements? e.g. charge at xxmA for xx hours. I just wanna see if my charger will do it.

Thanks guys. Appreciate it.

They can be charged in any charger that charges NIMH batteries.

for my dx 200mw alkalines spiked high and mostly low :p i went to walmart today and bought some digital concepts 1000mah AAA(5$ for 4). i also bout a digital concepts charger(bout 20$) that came with 4AA(2000mah i think) and 4AAA(900 mah). needless to say my laser doesnt spike anymore and only takes about .5-1 sec to heat up

o yeah theyre NiMH batts...

equlizer said:
i have a bag full of energizer and duracell and other rechargables just sitting in a drawer. I now use eneloop for everything (Cept my lasers)

rechargables only give 1.2v and regular give 1.5v. so for me, i use 3xaaa and if i used rechargables, id have to add a 4th battery.
Some lasers don't require the full 3v to run properly. My old X105 ran MUCH better and longer with eneloops instead of regular alkalines.

What about the GP recyko+ 850 mAh? Are they as good as the eneloops when they are also LSD´s?