Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Beginner Project Help: 488nm laser pointer

Gatrezal

The ACS1500SE driver from DTR says, "The drivers are delivered fully tested and preconfigured for 100mA output""
Additionally when DTR sells a module with diode and driver everything is correctly configured and tested before it goes out.
Is measuring the current at the input the same as what is at the driver output ?

Giannis_TDM

Is measuring the current at the input the same as what is at the driver output ?
No, Driver inefficiencies and the veriance in output voltage cannot be ignored, The drivers efficiency graph of the output voltage over the input will not worth gathering data for as it would take weeks since its SEPIC. TLDR no sorry, Not even for a rough estimation.

tony23

Also, choosing a real host with a proper power source is just a important as your diode and driver setup. No respectable host ever uses AA or AAA batteries.
Please forgive my ignorance: but why not? And what would be more appropriate? If you're going to use batteries of some sort, what should you use?

Giannis_TDM

Also, choosing a real host with a proper power source is just a important as your diode and driver setup. No respectable host ever uses AA or AAA batteries.
All the Laser66 pen hosts are laughing at you now....

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Yeah what a weird thing to say. If you have a host that takes two AAA or AA size batteries why wouldn't you use batteries for that size? Or even one AAA or AA battery. Li ions have those size variants so why not? I know lifetime makes hosts that have used those sizes before. Is he not a respectable hobbyist because of that? I don't think so

My 477nm streamlight build also laughs at that snobbish statement about "respectable hosts". A stunning diode in a host that by default took a single AAA battery (now a 10440 battery). 75mW of gorgeous sky blue almost teal light from a nice but inexpensive 98mm x 15mm package. And I'm certainly not the only one that likes it as I have turned down unsolicited offers to buy it for well above what I paid for the entire build. Cheap hosts can be some of the best, they leave room in the budget for things like nice diodes and not having to live the famous mac 'n cheese diet.
At the end of the day, those coherent photons don't really care what contraption held the components in place. They exist because a diode got power that met it's specifications while bieng kept within it's operating temperature range. I won't build in an ugly (to me) host, but I won't turn away a cheap one if I like the way it looks. Just make sure you can find an equivalent size quality Lithium battery from a company with a good reputation such as efest.

Hi,
Yes I built many Laser 66 pens and used lithium ion cells , 10440= AAA. 14500 = AA in size. In a Laser 66 pen you can use 1 or 2 cells , if one is required fill the void with a dummy cell the same size. Higher power diodes of Course have a lower duty cycle due to the size of heat sinking.
Rich:)