Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Beginner Help?

I haven't done much with lasers and i really want to be apart of the community, but no of the topics and posts make any sense to me. My dealing with lasers goes as far as teasing my dog with one. Could someone explain what the parts of a laser are and a good first build laser. It is possible i already have a diode. I disected a dvd durner looking for one, but i don't understand where the leads are. But anyway any help would be appreciated,

Mike

Basic parts of a laser you need is

1. A diode
2. An aixiZ module (or other)
3. A driver(and test load to set current)
4. A host to put the laser in, a lot of first builds are in the radioshack project boxes. Once you get the basics of hooking everything up then from there integrate into whatever host you like best. Then of course a power source.
5. possibly a heatsink depending on the amount of power you want out of the laser.

That's basically it. Set the right current on your driver, solder it to the diode (or whatever fashion you prefer) hook up the driver to a switch and power source and pop it all into a host is pretty much how it's done... In a crude nutshell anyway haha. It's also useful to identify what you don't know and focus on one thing at a time. If you don't know it, then find out.

Welcome to the forum!

First your going to need some basic soldering skills, some basic electrical/electronic knowledge.

otherwise assembling a laser will be a very frustrating experience.

You are still very welcome to participate in the community, we have lots of members who don't build lasers.

Last edited:
I am familiar with soldering and electronics. I used to be be apart of the xbox motherboard repair and xbox modding. So this really helped. I have a few questions though. How do you set the driver? What is a good diode for a blue burning laser? How much does this normally cost?
Thanks,
Mike

I am familiar with soldering and electronics. I used to be be apart of the xbox motherboard repair and xbox modding. So this really helped. I have a few questions though. How do you set the driver? What is a good diode for a blue burning laser? How much does this normally cost?
Thanks,
Mike

Depends on the driver for the details but it boils down to adjusting the pot . Here is a link to two of the most popular drivers. Prices are given on the web sites.

http://hacylon.case.edu/ebay/laser_diode/Micro_FlexDrive.php

or another choice is here.

Micro-Drive V3 adjustable driver (assembled) - $13.00 : rkcstr.com, Micro-Drive and laser diode electronics

The adjustment can be found on the website for both.

For the Flexdrive you will need a test load. The Rkcstr just hook it up and set your mm to amps.

The best Bluray for a first build would be a PHR 803. They cost about $10.00 and modwerx and other sites carry them as well.

Total build
Driver $13 to $23 depends on what you buy
Diode $10
Axix module $3
Host, again depends on what you get $30 to $50+

Battery(s) Depends

Or just look at Dave's Link instead of me reinventing the wheel. :eek::eek:

Last edited:
I am familiar with soldering and electronics.

Already a good thing. Noobs with no knowledge of electronics just can't really participate actively in here because a majority of the forumers here are heavy duty DIY tinkerers. Your knowledge will help you a long way.

Start searching for threads about laser diodes, how to harvest a diode, and for the different types of laser, search colors and their associated wavelenghts... 405 nm for violet and 655 nm for red, 532 nm for green, and you'll discover the difference between diode lasers, and DPSS lasers...

I have a few questions though. How do you set the driver? What is a good diode for a blue burning laser? How much does this normally cost?

There are also very extended and elaborate threads on laser drivers, the best known types come from rkcstr and drlava... search for those names and you'll find a world of info, including how to adjust them optimally for the laser diode you want to use.

To start off, if you want a blue-violet laser, try the plain old PHR diode, it's very inexpensive (about $10) and it's a good way to start off.

True blue laser are monstrously expensive (several hundred of $$$) and so are yellow and orange lasers, because of their very complex construction and paper-thin adjustments. You cannot build these, plain and simple (unless you're an engineering genius).

But the red and violet lasers, those are fun to build. Start off small and as you gain experience, you'll feel more confident to work on more expensive things... I would hate for you to start with a very expensive 8X violet diode and zap it because of your inexperience.

Just check out the different DIY threads and the threads on diode pinouts, setup procedures for laser drivers, and do get yourself a startup toolkit consiting of one or two DMMs (digital multimeters, about $10-$20), a good fine-tipped soldering iron, solder, solder paste, flux, mini screwdrivers, tweezers, various small pliers and cutters, a good vise, and optionally, an adjustable power supply.

100% of the info is on this site. The guy from Hightechdealz can provide you with inexpensive diodes and machined laser modules, look for the Dealextreme website in the electronics/professional tools section for truly inexpensive tools and gadgets.

Hope this helps.

Robert

D

Deleted member 8382

I recommend you an LM317 based driver to start. Since you already got some electronics knowleadge there shouldn't be any problem ;)

So this is what i understand so far. U start with the diode and put it into a housing (i will just buy it already in there) then you attach the driver to the pins of the diode (i will buy it pre-set). To attach the power source do you sort of twist the spring in the driver? My other question what is a good host (I think that is what you call it) the case it all goes into?
Thanks,
Mike

Noobs with no knowledge of electronics just can't really participate actively in here because a majority of the forumers here are heavy duty DIY tinkerers.

That is not true, there are members here who post all the time that do not build the actual laser.

There are members here who post 99 percent of the time in the "other" section about many different things, often having nothing to do with lasers.

That's like saying a person is not welcome to play pool in a bar because they don't drink.

As long as that person minds their manners and does not offend anyone, they can play pool all day.

search.gif

So this is what i understand so far. U start with the diode and put it into a housing (i will just buy it already in there) then you attach the driver to the pins of the diode (i will buy it pre-set). To attach the power source do you sort of twist the spring in the driver? My other question what is a good host (I think that is what you call it) the case it all goes into?
Thanks,
Mike

That is the condensed version. You need to read a lot more about this. Use the search button. IE. soldering diodes, setting driver,(you need to learn, even if using a preset one on this build.) connecting to batteries, etc

You need to understand ESD protection for diodes.
(very important!!!)

Also proper soldering of diodes. (leave the iron on for more then 1 second, you have just ruined your LD (laser diode)

As far as "twisting the spring into the driver" No! They are soldered on the + or - V input point on the driver.(depending if you want case + or case-)
Some drivers come W/ spring attached-mostly the crappy ones.
Again use search button.

There is a lot more to this then building, say, a flashlight.
Read until your eyes bleed, before starting. The more knowledge you have on this subject to begin with, the easier the build will go. And the quaility of the the build will be 1000% better in the long run. Good luck.

A good host to start with IMO is just the radioshack project boxes . They're cheap, have plenty of room for starting out and is good practice for later integration techniques.