Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Beginner Help Please

NeedaBeam

Hello I am trying to build my first laser pointer and just getting into lasers in general. I plan to post soon on the welcome thread but currently am eager to fix this build. I tried to mirror the video below the best i could but my laser won't work. I got a 1.8 A driver with my housing from survival laser, just using one 18650, and a 488nm 55mW module from DTR. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice. Thank you.

1.8a will blow your 55mw 488nm laser diode instantly, I have many 488's and I drive them @ 250ma which will give you double the rated output, they seem to hold up well at this current but if you want to stay at the 55mw factory rating then set your driver to limit the current @ 125ma

1.8a will blow your 55mw 488nm laser diode instantly, I have many 488's and I drive them @ 250ma which will give you double the rated output, they seem to hold up well at this current but if you want to stay at the 55mw factory rating then set your driver to limit the current @ 125ma
He just made 3 threads o_O

NeedaBeam

thank yaw lol, where would someone get a a driver that would fit in the housing but stays within the range of the datasheet. For my first laser i don't want nothing big like that 3W :eek:. (Would what RedCowboy said blow out the 55mw diode) Btw is there a way to delete my other forums, this is the first forum i've joined in my life🤦‍♂️

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
thank yaw lol, where would someone get a a driver that would fit in the housing but stays within the range of the datasheet. For my first laser i don't want nothing big like that 3W :eek:. (Would what RedCowboy said blow out the 55mw diode) Btw is there a way to delete my other forums, this is the first forum i've joined in my life🤦‍♂️
How old are you?

Encap

Stop SPAMMING LPF with multiples of the same thread.
Next time you buy a diode actually look at, read, and comprehend the info on DTR's web site about the diode you are buying.

Look at DTR's tests of the diode to see what mA driver output is appropriate to power the diode.
If you actually look at the data sheet and the diode tests - DTR shows photos of testing of the Sharp 55mW 488nm diode and go from 34 mA to about 500mA or so with 135mA making a 67mW output and at 250mA about double that , 125mW output, as mentioned by RedCowbboy.
Apparently the diode can withstand up to about 500mA+, for a short time however the maximum per the diode data sheet to use is 135mA .
See: https://sites.google.com/site/dtrslasershop/home/diodes/sharp-gh04850b2g-55mw and
see data sheet here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yilfWGQQn3NaAAL7jx3uVY5JFGwbKYG_/view

Last edited:

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
And you've never been on a forum before? I would think everyone of your generation was born with a phone in hand

NeedaBeam

And you've never been on a forum before? I would think everyone of your generation was born with a phone in hand
Not really lol, i have reddit and discord but nothing like this. No one really tells you about it tbh, maybe its just where i live. 🤷‍♂️

NeedaBeam

Yea my b first day joining kinda rough start lol , thats why i asked how to delete the other posts i did. But thank you for the input and hopefully will be making an introduction later tn after reading everything on the welcome

Encap

Survival Laser Fixed Current Driver​

buy this driver set to 220mA for your 488nm diode
Not the 1.8 put that away for another build ..
Survival Laser Fixed Current Driver

$22.99 inc. tax
Rich:)

$22.99 ex. tax
?
Product Code: SL-SD-2
Driver Output Current Option*
Please Select 220mA 445mA 530mA 1A 1.5A 1.8A

Survival Laser Fixed Current Driver Summary

Exactly Lifetime17---was about to mention same driver---you beat me to it.

Needa:
A member can not delete a thread only an individual post by that member---a Moderator deleted your 2 duplicate threads.

Did you actually buy anything from Survival Laser or DTR or are you just thinking about ordering parts to make a laser as you seem unfamiliar with both the Survival Laser site products info and the DTR diode details info?
Is like didn't read or pay attention to details of what you were thinking to buy or buying and put 2+2 together.

Whatever the case may be, you can or could have ordered a comlete host kit for $34.99 with the 220mA output driver from Survival per the Driver Current Option menu which is very hard to miss/not see when you order a host kit as you need to pick out the driver you want from the list. Is same one as the driver pointed out by Lifetime17 from the Survival Laser web site--220mA and will produce an output of approx 110mW see: https://www.survivallaserusa.com/Bargain_No-Diode_Host_Bundle/p1667092_14473472.aspx

Edit: PS Here is a photo tutorial by the owner of Survival Laser: https://laserpointerforums.com/thre...-assembly-photo-tutorial-picture-heavy.58889/

Last edited: