Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Beefy diodes on ebay...

Hiemal

Not true... It's possible. They did it with the Corning G-1000, and I don't see why not with 1064 nm.

HOWEVER; I do see the issue where the diode's wavelength won't be precise... the purpose behind the first gain crystal is to make sure the output wavelength is ALWAYS that wavelength even if the pump is off a little.

The 1064 nm diodes would have to be 1064 nm, nothing more or less, otherwise I'd think it wouldn't work.

The specific wavelength isn't that important. I've had weird colors come out of a KTP before (538nm and 543nm). The problem is the beam quality from a multi-mode edge-emitting diode is vastly inferior to the beam from Nd:YVO4. The efficiency of the KTP is proportional to the input power density and the power density of a diode will almost certainly be too low to double.

Hiemal

Weird colors? o.o

Sounds interesting, how'd that happen out of curiosity? It'd be interesting least to say to see if it would be a reproduce-able experiment...

But yes, beam quality and dot size/density would be an issue... Though, I do wonder still how they managed to do it in the G-1000, like I said before. Maybe they used a single mode high powered IR? o.o

JLSE

Weird colors? o.o

Sounds interesting, how'd that happen out of curiosity? It'd be interesting least to say to see if it would be a reproduce-able experiment...

But yes, beam quality and dot size/density would be an issue... Though, I do wonder still how they managed to do it in the G-1000, like I said before. Maybe they used a single mode high powered IR? o.o

If I ever get my hands on a 1064, I will not hesitate to at least try...
Over the years I have heard of things that would not be possible, only
to find out different with some time put into it..

JLSE

I have a small assortment of various crystals I use to experiment.. I have LBO
which are unused from casix.. I tried them out and actually got 473 in a labby some time back.

Haven't had the time to really get into it, but its fun to try new things. This holds
true even when it is doomed to fail :undecided:

I didnt think I could get my 473 in a handheld either, now im seeing some decent power
all it took was some effort :beer: