Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Beefy diodes on ebay...

AUS

Interesting. they look thicker than normal C mount diodes. You would need a beefy power supply, 16 amps at about 2.9 to 3 volts and a pretty serious heat sink and active cooling. At this power you wouldn't be able to turn it on without IR protective goggles. It would be much like a CO2 laser.

NOTE: he also has Beryllium Oxide mounts. If anyone buys these make sure you understand the dangers of Beryllium! This stuff will eat your lung tissue away if you breathe even a spec of it.

Interesting. they look thicker than normal C mount diodes. You would need a beefy power supply, 16 amps at about 2.9 to 3 volts and a pretty serious heat sink and active cooling. At this power you wouldn't be able to turn it on without IR protective goggles. It would be much like a CO2 laser.

You use those diodes for making green silly. :lasergun:

Also you'd want to wear glasses with lasers anyhow :beer:.

Yeah, be careful with that Beryllium oxide. :horse:

I'd like to see someone make an array of these or at least DPSS it into a sweet 532nm. But at $300 a pop.... maybe someone will start a murder fund? :whistle:

I'd like to see someone make an array of these or at least DPSS it into a sweet 532nm. But at $300 a pop.... maybe someone will start a murder fund? :whistle:

Why do you need a murder fund? These are quality diodes with rated specs. They aren't designed to be pushed hard like we normally do with visible wavelengths.

Under normal circumstances for making green you would want to KEEP the wavelength as close to 808nm as possible. So pushing the diodes hard would not help.

We normally do a murder fund on "new" diodes to test them and see what they are capable of outputting because we do not have all the data on them.

AUS

You use those diodes for making green silly. :lasergun:

I have seen someone make a laser cutter out of a few watts of 808nm.

You would need some serious Nd:YAG & KTP crystals to handle that power though, surely? And you would have to expand the beam before it gets to the KTP crystal? I assume the $40 ebay ones wouldn't cut it?

And at 16 watts in you would get what, 4-5 watts of 532nm? 800mW of 473nm?

I thought you needed the frequency stabilized diodes for DPSS? (I see he has some of them too).

I have seen someone make a laser cutter out of a few watts of 808nm.

You would need some serious Nd:YAG & KTP crystals to handle that power though, surely? And you would have to expand the beam before it gets to the KTP crystal? I assume the $40 ebay ones wouldn't cut it?

And at 16 watts in you would get what, 4-5 watts of 532nm? 800mW of 473nm?

I thought you needed the frequency stabilized diodes for DPSS? (I see he has some of them too).

I'm not an expert on DPSS so dont quote me on specifics. I only know a generalized amount about the process.

But these definitely ARE suitable for DPSS pumping.

Wow! yes once I have some more $$$$$$ in the bank, I'd love t o start getting into the really high powered stuff.

Beryllium Oxide is as other are explaining is EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS if it is loose,

"Like all beryllium compounds, BeO is carcinogenic and may cause chronic beryllium disease. Once fired into solid form, it is safe to handle as long as it is not subjected to any machining that generates dust.[9] Beryllium oxide ceramic is not a hazardous waste under Federal law in the USA."
http://www.americanberyllia.com/lit/Beryllium_Oxide_MSDS.pdf

The output of a CO2 laser is mostly stopped by plastic or glass lenses
for eye protection. 808 nM is not CO2.
The emitting band is quite wide. If I'm not mistooken, it would be
hard to gather a 1x400 emitter into a dot.
HMike

Last edited:
Why do you need a murder fund? These are quality diodes with rated specs. They aren't designed to be pushed hard like we normally do with visible wavelengths.

Under normal circumstances for making green you would want to KEEP the wavelength as close to 808nm as possible. So pushing the diodes hard would not help.

We normally do a murder fund on "new" diodes to test them and see what they are capable of outputting because we do not have all the data on them.

I wasn't really too concerned with pushing it to its limit, I just didn't see anyone wanting to shell out that cash. Maybe if it was a group funding it would be more likely to happen was my reasoning. Looking back, "murder fund" was the wrong term. It would be more of a "pool our money and share the diode" fund. :D

JLSE

These diodes are special to me because of their package type. The most ive seen
in a c-mount is 5W. Not only this guy has 15W in a cmount, but other exotic package types
and rare wavelengths.

I noticed too late he had 1064 @ 2W! That could have made for some nice 532nm work..

Also, as posted earlier, there would be no real purpose to put these in an array. 808nm
comes in many shapes and sizes. You can pick up a single bar @ 100W which is just sheer
overkill for anything i'd try to put together :undecided:

Here are some of the 808's I have, there is a couple of 60W monsters in there :eg:

happyLDday.jpg

Jeez. The majority of the people I see on the forum steer clear of IR diodes because of the potential hazards involved with invisible light, but this guy just plows through em like 660nm's or something! Brave soul or just experienced enough? :beer:

JLSE

It depends on application.. To this day Ive never built an IR handheld, probably
never will either. My interest is purely in the area of converting the NIR to green
and any other colour I can get my hands on.

The sexiest wavelengths begin with 808 :wave:

Jeez. The majority of the people I see on the forum steer clear of IR diodes because of the potential hazards involved with invisible light, but this guy just plows through em like 660nm's or something! Brave soul or just experienced enough? :beer:

Benm

I noticed too late he had 1064 @ 2W! That could have made for some nice 532nm work..

You do realize that it is impossible to double 1064 nm from a diode, right?

JLSE

You do realize that it is impossible to double 1064 nm from a diode, right?

I did not know that :thinking: Was an assumption in the back of my head for things
to try. Why does it not work?

No more spoilers please :tsk:

Last edited: