Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Beam combining && Beam Splitting

tips on buying cubes..
the size DOES matter --

smaller ones like 12.7x are harder to work with than 25 or 30mm.
DO NOT bid-- even a penny UNTIL you are SURE its FREE SHIPPING or very low $hip charge-

some 'open for one cent' auctions have a higher shipping than the cost of a cube another listing w/ BIN w/ free shipping--a good size 'defective' cube in a 'workable' size should cost no more than $7 usd w/$hipping free.

AND once you have bid that penny you are unable to UN_BID- (exception may be if you recall the bid within one hour) at 'completed listings' all the penny auctions with zero bids had high $hipping cost-- too high..

be forewarned there are >700 listings for these cubes and MANY are a tad on the small side-- so if you DO find one of the better deals plz post a link here.

. I call dibbs on the free shipping auction ending in two days. A few sellers are kind enough to put the size in the headline or the listing pics --like the one I am bidding on..
also USA sellers for US buyers makes good cents!!
(btw I am sniping it!)

best deal will likely be in a lot of 5 or 6 pcs.. and bigger than 25 mm.

Last edited:
Thanks for that link back to almost a year ago when you took those awesome shots of the night sky with your RGB laser, Tero. I do remember those shots and was amazed at how bright the stars were in your photos. A great example of what can be accomplished if you want to.

Benm

Here's a couple with the labbys on the right/bottom, beams being combined with the dichros in the center, and split with the X-Cube on the left/top

Really cool you actually did the experiment, and it seems to be working pretty well too!

One thing i wonder about though: if you rotate that cube, do the read and blue beams come out opposite ends?

I have 2 X-Cubes, because I dropped my 1st one and I had to glue it back together...so, I didnt mind gluing it to my LUMIA setup for this quick vid.
My LUMIA motor only turns 1/3 RPM, so this is sped waaayyy up :)

For simplicity's sake, I just used Red and Blue - as the Green just reflected back pretty horridly.

videotogif_2018.08.05_21.51.02 by Lewie Wilkinson, on Flickr

Great points, Hak! Good luck on your auctions ;)

Won third 18mm cube just now. I really thought that $2.99 would be passed up early.. one counter bid raised my ebay bid to $1.25 where it sat for days. at closing a bidder tried to outbid me BUT gave up 25 cents too soon.
there will be more of these BUT FYI-- I may have been wrong thinking that Alan can ALWAYS get perfect cheap or even 'near-perfect' my bad on that--wishful thinking. SO any Alan listing w/ Very Slight means not near-perfect- likely a chipped corner or two.. I failed to take into consideration that Alan would be 'cherry picking ' for me.

my win#2 will be here soon- we shall see If I get another cherry-- if not I will be lucky if win#3 is one more cherry.. NO COMPLAINTS at these prices.. my bids on the two near-perfect prisms are low ones & it will not be raised..check BIN listings for same prisms-other sellers !! whoa !!-- kinda spendy for V.S. optics.. new shortcut for you Jer.. Very Slight..lol :whistle::evil:

Benm

Here's a couple with the labbys on the right/bottom, beams being combined with the dichros in the center, and split with the X-Cube on the left/top:

Really cool to see that setup working just as well in 'reverse' - demonstrating that optical systems are bidirectional even if somewhat complicated :)