Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Be careful to Dragonlaser goggles

... Please note that if the beam is holding still on a spot of filter its possible that concentrated aser beam will burn filter in a second....

If that's true, they sell some low quality stuff. Laser goggles should at least protect you a few second so you can move away if a laser hits you directly. Pro goggles are certified to withstand a direct hit at least 10 seconds, and that's how I'd want them. Before you can react AND move away will take a second for sure.

edit: sorry, this post doesn't make sense

Last edited:

mfo

If that's true, they sell some low quality stuff. Laser goggles should at least protect you a few second so you can move away if a laser hits you directly. Pro goggles are certified to withstand a direct hit at least 10 seconds, and that's how I'd want them. Before you can react AND move away will take a second for sure.

That's not true. All goggles will begin to degrade after a second or two of direct exposure. It's just a question of how long will it take for them to degrade for them enough to let the light pass through and damage your eye. They're not meant to sit there staring into a beam. They're designed to handle accidental reflections. If it takes you more than a second or two to respond to an accidental reflection, then lasers aren't for you.

You're correct, I misintepreted the post. Now that I read it again, my post really doesn't make sense. The goggles should protect the user for a while, but really doesn't have to be undamaged in doing so. Sorry for the confusion.

mfo

You're correct, I misintepreted the post. Now that I read it again, my post really doesn't make sense. The goggles should protect the user for a while, but really doesn't have to be undamaged in doing so. Sorry for the confusion.

Glad I could help.

bob808

I noticed that Arayan made the experiment shining the laser from behind the googles. Usually you are not emitting laser from your eyes :D , but it's backwards. Try and test it the other way around as it should normally happen. Shine the light from the front of the glasses, and see if any light passes thru. Some glass permits light from one side but blocks it from the other. Just a thought....

Arayan

I noticed that Arayan made the experiment shining the laser from behind the googles. Usually you are not emitting laser from your eyes :D , but it's backwards. Try and test it the other way around as it should normally happen. Shine the light from the front of the glasses, and see if any light passes thru. Some glass permits light from one side but blocks it from the other. Just a thought....

I posted those pictures because it was easier to get the photos but I tried with both side of the lenses and I obtained the same results ;)

If glass could let light only travel in one direction, it would violate the laws of physics. An optical isolator does is a little different, but is not the most simple device.

bob808

if it's coated on one side it may reflect most light...therefor there would be a difference on the amount of photons passing thru each side

The material can absorb the light, which can make a difference if the light is reflected on one side or not. Transmission is different, coatings work both ways. If it reflects, it reflects on both sides.

bob808

don't know much about that so I'll have to trust you :) from my experience I kinda remembered that sometimes it happen the way I said it, but again I don't know much about this so I'll trust you

Wait, good goggles must let some green in but keep that input under 5mW. How would you see the dot trough them if they didn't?

i knew i wasnt crazy, i got those same goggles from wicked lasers and they let to pass a lot of green, but i bought a cheap goggles on ebay (15dls shipping included) theyre the same that sky lasers sells ($40+shipping!!), these ones Red & Green Laser Goggles | SKYlasers and these dont let pass ANY green, im really happy with these ones, when you wear them you just see a little tiny point, i have a 100mw green laser

This is true, but then again when I shine my PHR through my DL goggles, I get no output at all, but when I shine it against the wall and look through my goggles I can still see it, I assume what you see is the florescence due to the violet, but not the actual violet laser output.

i think the same because as you can see there's no green passing through them on the pic above

Attachments

• goggles.jpg
    goggles.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 96
  • goggles2.jpg
    goggles2.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 101
Last edited: