Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Batterys

Peter Dodge

i have a 405nm laser that shoots an awesome beam of purple at 250 mw, and i was wondering if i could somehow pump more power into it, by feeding it a more powerful version of an 18650 battery. i think i could get more power from giving it 2 CR123 batteries, but i'm not sure if that would be better, or not. i'm also worried that the driver on the circuit board might be overloaded, or resist the excess power. i do not know very much about circuitry, being only 13, so i've come here this is my only laser on a limited budget, and so any help would be great. if possible i would like to amp it up to 1 watts, but i'm also worried about my parents, but what could go wrong :)

Encap

The answer is, No.
Using the wrong batteries is not a good idea.
It is what it is in the real world for real reasons.

Your laser only works the way you imagine in your imagiation.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS
If you try to increase the voltage to your driver by using two 16340s in place of a single 18650 you will likely blow the driver and maybe the diode as well. There are no single mode 405nm diodes that can sustain a power of 1 watt, so forget about that. If your laser actually outputs 250 mW, and it is doubtful that it does, you won't be able to push it much higher even if the driver is adjustable. You have many years ahead of you, so I wouldn't try to push your limits on lasers right now.

Reactions: GSS

Coonie

Peter a lot can go wrong. At your age accidents happen more often. Always remember this one point: Treat your laser as a loaded gun. It really is that dangerous to both yours and everyone else's eyes. Please take great care when handling this laser. It only takes a fraction of a second to do permanent damage. If you can avoid it, don't bring it around in public or shine it for any joke whatsoever. Trust me, for you 250mw is more than enough. Ok?

GSS

What does, "I'm also worried about my parents but what could go wrong" mean?
Young ones posting I wan't more and more power scares the heck out of me:(. I'm not saying your not a mature 13 year old though.
If your after a brighter beam with a 405nm, it's not going to happen. I'm surprised you see one now unless your using heavy fog.
250mw of 405nm is decent burner if it is that much like Encap mentioned. Does the laser focus? I'm also curious to what laser it is.
Is a 301, 303 style? Just let it be if it is a 301 because these units cannot be modded easily and even if they can.
Save a few dollars and play with this one safely for now, like Paul said you have many years ahead of you to learn and build. Just because it's not bright it is 'Dangerous"..

Last edited:

Peter Dodge

thanks guys, thats what i thought, but it was worth asking.
GSS, you shouldn't be worried about a thing, but i do agree that 1 watt is probably a little scary...
the beam is well visible in the dark, focuses and it burns pretty well.
on the side of it it says JBL4306 Blue 301, whatever that means, but i'm sure its important to some degree.
i got it off of Burning laser pointer.com, and shows up on the home page if that helps.

The 301 lasers are all well below 1 watt in power regardless of wavelength. That 405nm laser in your link is way over priced for what you get. Try eBay. They are much cheaper there and are the exact same laser.

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
If you want a brighter beam consider a 301 type laser from feebay in the 532nm green color. They generally put out 50-80mW of power and because our eyes are much more sensitive to green light than they are to deep violet (405nm) it will appear much brighter than your violet laser, even if that actually puts out 200+ mW. The 301 lasers are also cheap. You should be able to get one for under $10

Last edited:

Peter Dodge

that sounds good enough, but i think ill stick to what i have for right now, and thanks for the answers :)