Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Battery orientation in lasers

Hello everyone,

I have noticed that most if not all lasers require you to place the batteries with the negative pole facing the diode and the positive towards the cap.

Is this true to all commercial builds? If we place the negative towards the inside we can't go wrong and fry it?

Thanks

No. If you place your batteries in with the positive facing the tailcap. You will eventually endup frying a laser.

Polarity is based solely on each individual product. As a matter of fact, over 50% of my handhelds are case negative meaning the - is facing the tailcap.

Make sure you know which way your batteries go or you WILL kill your laser eventually if not instantly.

No, not all are like that most are, some lasers have reverse protection built in some if you accidentally put in wrong way you don't kill the laser,of course you would immediately turn of trying and switch battery around then try, but most are positive outwards but i have a few the other way around my red lasers in my signature are positive inwards

Last edited:
I never knew this before. I'm a little worried now that I may have damaged my new 3W 445 trying to put the batteries in the right way. At first I thought that they went negative in like other lasers i've used, until I learned that it was supposed to go in positive first. The laser still turned on after a long time fiddling with it and looked really bright, but it would only turn on if I had the laser rotated and facing a certain way. I was told that this was due to Tenergys being cheap. I'm hoping that's all it is. I'll find out tomorrow when I get my Panasonics.

^ If your laser is working, then its probably fine. Just continue to use it as you have. If you put your batteries in and no light comes out, then be concerned.

How can we be sure of the correct orientation in cases of lasers that didn't come with documentation? Is there a general rule that we could follow?

^ If your laser is working, then its probably fine. Just continue to use it as you have. If you put your batteries in and no light comes out, then be concerned.

It took me about 2 hours to get it on the first time. I don't feel like trying that long again, so now i'm just waiting for the batteries.

If the end cap has a round metal bit sticking out usually solid metal that is small only about 3mm in depth it is almost certainly is positive out my high power ones are like that or are completely flat at the cap , if its a spring on the end cap its negative out. It really would be better if the manufacturers made them all the same but some prefer the case to be positive and others prefer the case of the laser to be negative, either is fine provided you know which way ..or the laser has reverse battery protection, if it doesn't come in instantly you know you have it in the wrong way around

Ladies, ladies,,,
Do some reading. In most cases,,, If you have a DPSS (cheap Green) pointer, it uses a I.R. diode as a pump, and almost all of those modules are case positive (the button on the battery (+) goes to the end cap/case. If you have a blue or red, it is likely NOT a DPSS (too expensive to do it that way), and it will be case negative (the button on the battery goes to the inside of the case, battery negative would go to the endcap).

DrSid

Minus goes where the spring is .. mostly ..

Last edited:
It all depends on the individual laser, how the builder decided to set it up. If your unsure, ask the seller.

If the end cap has a round metal bit sticking out usually solid metal that is small only about 3mm in depth it is almost certainly is positive out my high power ones are like that or are completely flat at the cap , if its a spring on the end cap its negative out.

My Arctic and Scorcher both have the button on the end cap and the spring towards the front, but the Arctic is negative in, while the Scorcher is positive in.

My Arctic and Scorcher both have the button on the end cap and the spring towards the front, but the Arctic is negative in, while the Scorcher is positive in.

That's weird. So your Scorcher uses the positive pole of the battery on the spring?

Not to be a smart ass but ask the seller?
well true but a lot of lasers you can get are brand x from China or Hong Kong with no makers logo to even check, getting lasers is a case in Australia of getting what you can the customs are ruthless only about half gets through no matter what you try to fool them, fine if you lose a 30 dollars laser but a $250 laser getting grabbed isn't very funny ..so a lot of cheap ones are bought with no instructions and no marked manufacturer

Last edited: