Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Batteries for Green Lasers

I own a Viper 125mw, and a 30mw True Green from DX. I am wondering what would be the best batteries to use for these kinds of lasers. Right now I am using 1.2V AAA rechargeables that are meant for a walkie talkie. They don't work very well. What kind of batteries should I get for these lasers? I don't want them to be too expensive though.

Any electronics store should have a charger for you. The charger for your other rechargeables should work fine provided they are NiMH and not NiCad.

Best charger is the Lacrossetechnology BC-900. Comes with all kinds of goodies and different recharge modes. You won't regret it.

I use a Duratrax Pirannah RC Car charger. It peak charges NiMh or NiCd batteries to the maximum power output, and allows you to adjust charging current to charge a set of batteries quickly. I charge AAA 800Mah batteries at about .75 amps, and they charge up from depleted in less than an hour. The charger has a digital readout, so you can monitor the charge, and see exactly how many milliamp hours you've put in the battery. You can find "peak detection" RC chargers on EBay. Don't charge a AAA battery at more than 1 amp, or it'l overheat, and possibly stop working (or piss out all the electrolyte, if you're realy unlucky!)

I sold all the RC stuff except the charger, and I never buy disposable batteries. Just run off to Radio Shack, and get battery holders of the size and number of cells you need, and you're good to go. I keep my remote controls, all my lasers and flashlights, and my telescope electronics happy on rechargables.

One serious tip with rechargables.... NiMh batteries should never be run down completely, if you're using more than one cell in a device. What happens, is one cell depletes before the other, and the live cell damages the dead one. I figure on keeping a couple sets with me, and if I notice the laser getting a bit dim - change batteries immediately.

Personally, I don't recommend using rechargeable batteries in laser pointers unless they are Li Ion. Most rechargeables produce less voltage than a standard cell, which can cause the laser to be underpowered. In green laser pointers this can cause mode-hopping and other negative effects.

The ultimate power source (and also the most costly) are lithium cells like Energizer e2. It gets expensive always replacing them, and standard alkalines will work much better than rechargeable batteries will anyway.

ElektroFreak said:
Personally, I don't recommend using rechargeable batteries in laser pointers unless they are Li Ion. Most rechargeables produce less voltage than a standard cell, which can cause the laser to be underpowered. In green laser pointers this can cause mode-hopping and other negative effects.

The ultimate power source (and also the most costly) are lithium cells like Energizer e2. It gets expensive always replacing them, and standard alkalines will work much better than rechargeable batteries will anyway.

I don't agree completely with that. Sure, Alkalines has a higher voltage from the beginning. But even if the voltage is rated at 1,2V Ni-MH for rechargeables, this is just their NOMINAL voltage. Freshly charged, they usually have a voltage of about 1.4 to 1.45 volts. So, the difference between an alkaline and a Ni-MH is not that roticeable inside a green laser. It only makes a few mW or so difference.

Ni-MH:s also usually hold their power for a longer time than alkalines.

So, if you're using your laser much, go with Sanyo Eneloop rechargeables. They are the best ones, and rechargeables overall are more economical. Buying alkas or Lithiums will quickly get expensive.

Although if you're not using you laser very often, you could use alkalines or even Lithiums. You will get max performance without having to worry about the price.