Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Basic Spirograph

@ paper183, Absolutely, there are no right or wrongs on this sort of thing, I am building one into a flight case at the moment, using computer fans but you can glean motors from Hard drives, pagers, toys...the possibilities are endless. I think my best find was the plastic mirror tile from ebay (every time I have worked with a true front surface mirror I seem to manage to get a finger print on it :-[)

Keep up the good work :)

Regards rog8811

For the mirrors i bought a cheap plastic mirror with a magnet on the back to stick it anywhere, i used sturdy scissors to cut it and shards of plastic were flying everywhere :D not the best quality but definitely enough for my use.

Might add a motor to mine, wondering if it changes the patterns alot...

Yes it does :D, I can control the speed of all three, which I think is probably overkill.

The thing to remember is that the angles on the first 2 mirrors need to be small, the third one you can angle a bit more to get a bigger image output.

Regards rog8811

rog8811 said:
Might add a motor to mine, wondering if it changes the patterns alot...

Yes it does :D, I can control the speed of all three, which I think is probably overkill.

The thing to remember is that the angles on the first 2 mirrors need to be small, the third one you can angle a bit more to get a bigger image output.

Regards rog8811
Yup, the speed of the first motor doesn't need to be controlled, it can be used to make patterns more precise tho if you want a specific pattern.

Good information above. Should be relatively easy to do. A few more pics of how you have the circuit board set up would be great though, I will probably just use wires though, I just am not sure how.

S

SenKat

I see where it is mentioned that adding the third motor makes many different patterns - can someone elaborate, please ? Post a short vid, or pics of the different shapes ? Thanks !

G !

Oh okay if they have cheap ones like that then that will work. Also Senkat I'd rather find the parts myself for cheaper.

S

SenKat

corim123 said:
Oh okay if they have cheap ones like that then that will work. Also Senkat I'd rather find the parts myself for cheaper.

All - he is posting about our IM conversation :p I was telling him that the kit that Rog posted about comes without a laser for right at $40 shipped - I actually ordered one of them - for those that are interested, I will reverse engineer it, and post all the parts supply list, and schematics, and possibly a scan of the circuit board if I can get it to come out okay. I figured I can NEVER have enough spriograph projectors, and I may expand on this kit a lot, and add soem other items to it eventually ! :p

G !

I added the parts needed and a little diagram in the first post for those who asked.

Hi all I have attached the circuit diagram for a 2 motor setup, VR1 can be best sorted by connecting the motor, to a battery, through a 5k multiturn pot. First wind off the resistance (motor full speed) then wind in the resistance until the motor stops. Remove the motor and battery to measure the resistance of the pot. You now know the ideal variable resistor for your circuit ( out of interest Greg the best one for your gizmo is 220 ohm ;) ). I f you do it this way you will have the best possible control over the patterns produced.

I would post a movie of my 3 mirror setup, trouble is the file type produced by my camera cannot be played by any program on my computer :mad: .

Regards rog8811

Attachments

• Circuit01.jpg
    Circuit01.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 102
I have just relised that I didn't show a switch anywhere in the circuit, I have used a single pole slide switch in the positive line from the battery ;)

Regards rog8811

Mind if i use your circuit diagram in the first post ? ;D It looks better than mine lol