Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

basic red pointer with AC power supply?

ptc

Hello. I know nothing about lasers except for the basic red pointers lol.

But I was looking for one with an AC power supply so the pointer could be on all the time without draining the batteries in 15 mins and I came across your site here.

Does anyone make anything like that? I don't need an expensive or fancy laser...just the basic 5mw red will do.

Thank you in advance to anyone with helpful replies

Hey there,
There are plenty of laser pointers that have USB power cable chargers if you do a Google search.
However AC wall chargers are usually only available for the more expensive lasers.
I think Jacob32123 is right, you should look around for a "pen style" laser pointer like the one below.

good luck and welcome :beer:

$(KGrHqZ,!gwE06JERsKkBNZcY41zrQ~~_3.JPG

Most likely way too expensive, but I have run across these Ednalite 635 pointers that can be fit with an optional AC adaptor. I had some of the pointers for sale without the AC adaptors, but I think they are all spoken for already.

Ednalite Modular Laser Pointers

(Mine were $20.00 though. :) )

ptc

I have a pin laser with 2 AAA batteries, but I need it to be constantly on for at least a few hours at a time and I have to lock it in place in a perfect spot...then nudging it to change batteries forces me to go through the micro-aiming procedure again before I can lock it back in place. The batteries just don't cut it.

I'll check everyone's suggestions out.

Thanks all!!

Uuumm....not quite so easy as just adding an adapter. After frying dozens of those cheapies myself I decided to find out why it didn't work. That is what eventually led me to LPF.
Just about all of those cheap red laser pointers have nothing to limit the current flow and rely on the poor performance of the included batteries to prevent destruction.
From what I've managed to find out over the last few months here, the nominal power requirement is limited to no more than 40ma input at 3-4 volts. If you hook up a simple transformer, as I did over and over, (I'm stubborn !) even if you get one of the few that doesn't fry within a second or so you won't likely make it more than a few minutes before it dies.
I have been advised at local electronics stores to add a simple resistor to limit the power and I have also been advised to incorporate some sort of power spike protection to it as well but that means adding more than 5 times the cost of the original cheap laser to make it work. Kind of a waste of time in my opinion.
So now I'm looking into more reliable and properly designed units for only a few more dollars that will do the job.(Much like whats suggested above.) That or build a whole lot of "317 drivers". (Might do this as I want to control a bunch of other low voltage devices from a single switchboard run from just ONE 12v 6A PSU.)
But beware...soon you will want to add a green one...or two....and then how about those neat purple 405nm ones too...they have come way down in price lately....but to really balance it all a simple projector sure would be nice.....$$$$$$$$$$$
I need another paying job to afford all this !

It would be a good idea to check the current before soldering it all together.

His uses AAAs though. There would be minimal voltage sag from AAAs at the 10-20mA required by a pointer. Switchmode wall adapters like the one I posted are voltage regulated, but a filter cap wouldn't hurt.

Does it have to be a pointer?

5mW Red Laser Line Module $9

I'm just wondering if these require any kind of external cooling. :thinking:

EDIT: I know that Jacob also posted a couple different links to similar items but you never said if it had to be a pointer.

Last edited:
if you want something cheap and you don't care about size you could use a cheap computer power supply, but you would have to figure out which would be the best cables to use. Also find the voltage and amperage of the laser then buy a small ac adapter from an online store, I'm fairly sure you could buy pretty specific ac adapters if you find the right site.

hope that helps, just my $0.02

or what about an HeNe they come in a tube like holder and use a PS . and you get a nice dot.

ptc

Sorry...like I said, I'm not a laser expert at all lol...but I do know A LITTLE about electronics so I can sorta follow what you guys are talking about.

Maybe I should be more specific about what I need. I have a paranoid neighbor with a history of mental issues and obsessions stalking others. He has erected a number of cameras pointed at my house. I found this article (and your forums) trying to find a way to neutralize those cameras:

Camera Zapper

A basic red laser pointed straight into the camera should mess up the picture without permanently damaging the camera (and suing me for damages).

I want to rig something outside (but under a roof so it will be somewhat protected from weather) where a laser just continually blinds his cameras. It will only work at night I assume, so if lasers with bigger/more batteries can last 5-6 hours straight until they die then that'd work too I guess if I had no other real option.

My best options?

Thank you to all who have and who will reply...it is GREATLY appreciated!!!!

Last edited:
if you want something cheap and you don't care about size you could use a cheap computer power supply, but you would have to figure out which would be the best cables to use. Also find the voltage and amperage of the laser then buy a small ac adapter from an online store, I'm fairly sure you could buy pretty specific ac adapters if you find the right site.

hope that helps, just my $0.02

I'm pretty sure ShortyInCanada is correct that the power requirement is limited to no more than 40ma with input at 3-4 volts.
I did some research and you can't just use any old AC adapter. It has to be within a very narrow output range.

EDIT: LOLZ I just read your last post PTZ :wtf:
I don't think I'm qualified to recommend a course of action here.
Some wavelengths may be more effective than others for this application.
But whatever you use, it should work just as well in the day as at night ;)
Good luck with your psycho neighbor.

Last edited:
from what the user needs, it needs to be a permanent (ly) mounted fixture.

a cheap HeNe would do the trick, I know daguid has the basic set up.

Last edited:

ptc

from what the user needs, it needs to be a permanent (ly) mounted fixture.

a cheap HeNe would do the trick, I know daguid has the basic set up.

What is HeNe?

edit: nm found it

Last edited: