Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Back, forward, post is gone!

Ever since we switched to the new forum and I started using the WYSIWYG editor, I've noticed that if you navigate to another page and back, the contents of your unfinished reply will be discarded.

Using firefox on any other site, you can leave your post unfinished, then click a link, click back (or close the window and hit undo close, etc), and your unfinished post is still there intact. On LPF, your post is discarded if you use the WYSIWYG editor.

This bugs me a whole lot, since I use mouse gestures it's really easy to accidentally close a window or hit back, as well, using the dvorak keyboard layout CTRL+V (paste) and CTRL+W (close window) are right next to eachother, as well as at home I have a mouse where the "back" button is right on the side where you normally grip a mouse, making it very easy to accidentally navigate away from the page... Not to mention the (very) frequent "quick update brb" messages, where your post is completely discarded and you have to retype the whole damn thing.

I'm honestly not sure what causes this, so I can't really offer any helpful insight, but I think it's related to javascript. It would be super amazingly cool if someone could figure out a fix for this, as it's caused me to rip out my hair on several occasions.

Last edited:

Download chrome 2

Yeah, good call. Chrome doesn't support the WYSIWYG interface, so you're reduced to typing BBCode by hand.

I should have emphasized this is a problem with the WYSIWYG editor, rather than a problem with LPF in general. I'm posting this from chrome right now, and no matter what I've tried I can't enable the full editor. This only applies to full featured browsers.

Sorry Dude I'm kind of computer illiterate so I have no clue what you're talking about. But after using opera chrome, chrome 2 beta, Firefox, and IE I love Chrome 2 beta the best.

Sorry Dude I'm kind of computer illiterate so I have no clue what you're talking about. But after using opera chrome, chrome 2 beta, Firefox, and IE I love Chrome 2 beta the best.

No worries, what I was talking about is the "what you see is what you get" editor, where smilies and other formatting are embedded in the reply box as you type, so if I make something bold when I'm making a reply it actually shows up as bold, rather than just showing "[ b ]" tags around it... Google Chrome still doesn't have very good javascript support, so these sorts of advanced features don't work for now. Same as if you'd browsed the site on a mobile phone or a game console like a PS3 or a Wii, etc. The bug I'm describing only affects robust, full featured browsers that support the WYSIWYG editor.

It's happened to me more than once... :eek:

What I do when I'm writing a Reply and need to research something...
I open another FF window (now I have 2 FF Tabs open) and work there.
Then I can switch between my Reply and my Research windows... ;)

The one that ticks me off the most is when you click "Save Changes"...
you get a "BRB Maintenance message"...
Then you need to save your work to the clipboard and hope you don't
copy anything else to it while you wait for the Forum to get back...:confused:

Jerry

Last edited:

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
hey guys, i am not sure about this issue

i would actually expect the data to be lost in the post box if another page opens and you click the back button in the browser

it would be best to just open pages in a new tab in firefox/ie/chrome

wouldn't this solve the problem? i might not be understanding problem entirely

regarding the site maintenance, i have changed the backup schedule so it will be less interuptive.

regards
-c0ld