Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Auto Full 16 millions colour, RGB White laser handle DIY

Dear this is my first RGB full colour!
It use 2 x 18650 or 3 x 18650
I will send pics body after i complete it!
- Can you pls tell to me what is the metal do you want to make its body? Copper (so good heatsink) :),brass? aluminium :) ( good) , titan, inox? ( so bad heatsink), gold ( best) , Ag?
Pls tell to me your idea

Actually silver is better than gold as a heat sink. But, considering that copper gets close to silver in thermal conductivity, why spend the money.

I like the look of your brass housings but aluminum or copper would be nice too, stainless avoids tarnish but is not good for heat sink......so I say brass or copper, actually been wanting to get some brass hosts made.

How big is the RGB module, can we see some pic of the module ?

I like the look of your brass housings but aluminum or copper would be nice too, stainless avoids tarnish but is not good for heat sink......so I say brass or copper, actually been wanting to get some brass hosts made.

A long time ago I made a host from brass nipples and related parts. It was used to house a dpss green laser module.

Actually silver is better than gold as a heat sink. But, considering that copper gets close to silver in thermal conductivity, why spend the money.

There's really no reason to use silver over copper when it comes to mw/mk... But it sure looks pretty. It's very easy to electroplate copper with fine silver, though - I do it often enough, and skip the usual "plate to nickel first" stage. Electrolyte (Sodium carbonate, made from baking soda easily enough), a 12v battery and some copper cables along with a source of fine silver does a fine job for a few um "finish" grade plating.

There's no reason a milled copper sink body wouldn't be perfect for this application, not that you disagreed here.

A long time ago I had an intel socket 775 waterblock milled out of silver rather than copper for a whopping ~1'c difference in temperatures, compared to the same topology, in copper :p... And since silver is an absolute nightmare to machine, it only cost me a few 100. FFS.

Brass is pretty meh in terms of heat transference and specific heat, tbh. Most alloys are around 1/2 of Aluminum... None are much better than 60% of aluminum. Copper all the way, electroplate if you're going for a look.

Last edited:
I have some copper hosts that were polished then coated with acrylic. That also works well to keep it from tarnishing.

Most alloys are around 1/2 of Aluminum... None are much better than 60% of aluminum.

DNFAc.gif

The vast majority are in the high 90s, so quit making shit up. Source:

DNFAc.gif

The vast majority are in the high 90s, so quit making shit up. Source:

Nah man,

In terms of HEAT capacity and dissipation, brass has around HALF the coefficient that aluminum does, which is already mediocre at best compared to copper, and to a much more tiny "diminished return" silver sink. Most aluminum alloys, yes, are 94% but have, at best 60
% of the transfer of copper.

My mistake for wording.