Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Atmospheric conditions

I'm confused. Where are your pictures of lasers?

Here are a couple I took over the summer on a very foggy night.

Ridges Mental Hospital fog and lasers #1
laser_ridges_fog_1_zps78b0de87.jpg

Ridges Mental Hospital fog and lasers #2
laser_ridges_fog_2_zps90814a03.jpg

I'm confused. Where are your pictures of lasers?

Here are a couple I took over the summer on a very foggy night.

Ridges Mental Hospital fog and lasers #1
laser_ridges_fog_1_zps78b0de87.jpg

Ridges Mental Hospital fog and lasers #2
laser_ridges_fog_2_zps90814a03.jpg

Uhg, how many +reps do I have to give out before giving to someone again?

Last edited:
Cool, much cooler than in clear air but the beams won't travel as far. It just happens that tonight I was thinking about how far the beams of a couple of my 80mw 532nm green lasers are visible as beams. A beam appears to go up for miles but to confirm how far I can really see them go up, I took two identical pointers and held them together in parallel, looking at the beams going out. The space between where the beams start and end was nearly the same from my vantage point. This means they hardly go out much distance at all before becoming attenuated too much to have a visible beam! My illusion bubble now popped, I thought the beams went much further but if I don't see a vantage point converging of the space between them, they aren't going out far before disappearing.

On second thought, the heads on my two G301's are bigger than the back ends, I probably didn't have them in parallel well enough. Has anyone tried this at night with a couple of pointers which are both flat to one another? If so, what did you see? As the beam travels away, if they go a mile, the two should appear to be one at the ends.

Edit: I just did a check to see if, when removing the rounded heads from my two lasers the beams are in parallel and even then found that they aren't, far from it. Just holding them together as flatly as I can, when spotting on the wall within a couple of feet they are a couple of inches apart, then, holding them the same way and spotting on a wall 10 feet away they are more than a foot apart. So, my test tonight in the night sky told me nothing because they are diverging from one another. I need two lasers which are near perfectly parallel to one another to do that test, perhaps I will jig them together to make them parallel and try again sometime.

Last edited: