Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Astral Driver For Sale - Boost, Buck, Buck-Boost, Linear, & Etc

Great discussion!

About testing the "continuity" or short-testing using multimeter:
You need to be aware as the (usual) multimeter will supply about 3V when set into continuity test. This leads into powering up the driver and thus act the same way when you power it up using 3V battery, i.e the output voltage will go up and up until the IC dead (if there is no load at output)

Luckily, if you are using pretty good DMM, it will limit the current to the probe, so the driver will not draw high current (which will translate to big duty cycle or big Vout/Vin)

About the defective drivers, it seems the one that is defective is the capacitor. But i don't know for sure as i'm unable to reproduce/find the issue here.

I have also a customer in ebay reported two of five driver are defective, but he said after desoldering again and again, one of two defective is finally working.
The other defective one is drawing high current while giving no output. It seems he doesn't have multimeter as he don't know wheter the input or output which is shorted.

Apparently doing random testing is not enough i guess :yabbem:

i really apreciate your honesty,you even mentioned a report of an ebay user, the defective that is drawing high current while giving no output seems exactly like my case with the shorted capacitor.

i just read about the new Superdrive on the other thread,hope it will not take that long to release the package

jnrpop

Bumpidy BUMP :bumpit: :D

Just a shout out again :wave: to Astralist for providing this forum and the hobby with some excellent products at very fair prices :worthy:
Thanks A :thanks:

Dang. I put my Pico drivers away after the last event where I used several of them and now can't find them. I was sure I put them with my other high Vf diodes, but so far they have eluded me. I need one for ZRaffleticket's 428nm build. Well, the search goes on. I did find my copper and aluminum heat sinks I had lost during my PWM controller build for another member here. :thinking:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Speaking of Pico drivers, I just had a chance to try out my first one yesterday on the 487nm diode that I got from you, Paul. :yh:

It seems to work perfectly, I only powered it up for a few seconds to verify that it worked and the diode was ok; as it is still only in the 12mm module.

One thing that I noticed right away, was how nice the pot felt when adjusting it, compared to the pots on the blitz-linear drivers; it wasn't quite linear, but close enough that it only took about three adjustments to get it where I wanted it.
I've only used the one Pico driver, but so far these seem to be very nice drivers!

Last edited:
I think so too, Jeff. Unfortunately, there are three of them playing "hide and seek" with me. And so far, the drivers are winning. :(

Coonie

Astralist, could you possibly make round driver versions for these drivers? Diameter size 17mm?

I'm certain he could, but it will likely not happen because there isn't enough demand for those drivers over the ones he has made in the past. It would be quite expensive to redesign and have them built in numbers that he could offer for sale considering the lack of people wanting these kinds of drivers now.

Coonie

Yes of course he can. My question was if he would and that's something only he can answer.
I'm not sure where you got the idea where the demand is low but I plan on starting a little store so I need them but thanks for your opinion anyway.

Reactions: GSS
Are these still for sale? And will the Superdrive HV ever go into production?

Astralist, could you possibly make round driver versions for these drivers? Diameter size 17mm?

I'm able to do this, but the problem would be the heatsinking..
If you are asking for 5A round 17mm, the usage duty would be low
the thermal protection may be kicking earlier than those which mounted on heatsink.

Are these still for sale? And will the Superdrive HV ever go into production?

There will be some new driver coming soon.

====================================================
BTW, how do i multi quote some post on this new platform other than manually copy pasting??
I felt like outdated lol

Hi, Pradipta. Long time no see. All you need to do to "multi-quote" posts is to click on reply of the first and answer it, then click on the next as it will still be above your continuing post and so on and so on. Very glad to see you back here. ;)

Coonie

the thermal protection may be kicking earlier than those which mounted on heatsink.

As long as I can mount a heatsink to the part that gets red hot it should be fine for the 5a version. It would be nice to see the round version of the picodrive especially

Giannis_TDM

There will be some new driver coming soon.

====================================================
BTW, how do i multi quote some post on this new platform other than manually copy pasting??
I felt like outdated lol
Hi, Pradipta. Long time no see. All you need to do to "multi-quote" posts is to click on reply of the first and answer it, then click on the next as it will still be above your continuing post and so on and so on. Very glad to see you back here. ;)
I have a question for you guys soo I have a de canned NUGM03 525nm diode with no driver and lately I've purchased 2 pico drives from jnrpop together with his spare parts bag. Are the pico drives suitable for driving that diode/should I trust them? I've spoken to quite a few people telling me that they are unreliable at best also I think that they are the "old" pico drives? How can I tell apart the 2 revisions?