Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Aries 150 or polaris 200

Im thinking about buying either a polaris 100 mw 447 nm or an aries 100 mw 532 nm and i was wondering which would have more burning power? Or Should I spend some more money and get a polaris 200mw or an aries 150mw? which wavelength would have more burning power per milliwatt and what is a 150 mw laser capable of burning?

If i do get one of the lasers above I will make a review

Realistically, if it's 100mW of power, it's same burning power for all 100mW powers.

However, at 100mW, green laser would burn a bit better because the beam while exiting the laser is much thinner than blue one, around 1.5mm or so.

So I'd go for the green one if I were you.

Justin

Correct, the beam profile of the Aries is a little better so the ability to generate heat at close range is also better. If this is your only consideration then an Aries-100 or 150 will be a good choice. A 150 mW laser can reliably pop dark-coloured balloons, light red-tipped matches, and put small holes in dark-coloured plastics, etc. Also, since you can use the X10DR beam expander with the Aries to concentrate the beam even more, the potential for generating heat is actually quite superior to the Polaris, at equivalent power.

Blue lasers are cool, though. So cool.

Maybe you should get both. ;)
(Conflict of interest alert.)

To add on to Justin's post, take note that you're buying CNI's stuff here which is of very high quality and not very often but ALWAYS overspec by soem amount.

Your 100mW green may give you 150mW+ peak power, where 150mW green can give you over 200mW+ peak power.

So basically, whichever you get, you're guaranteed to have a lot of power on your disposal.

Just make sure to save some money for laser safety goggles too!

Ash said:
We have established that lasers with a smaller wavelength burn better as the energy-density is greater at the focal point. The rest of your points are valid, however.
As Daguin's video (above) shows: a focused 37mW bluray can light a match.
Personally, I have not been able to light a match with 37mW (or even 50mW) of red because there is less energy per square µm (micrometer) [or nm, nanometer].
37mW at 405nm = 0.091mW/nm
37mW at 660nm = 0.056mW/nm
You would need around 60mW of red to have the same energy-density as 37mW of bluray.
60mW at 660nm = ~0.091mW/nm

But personally, for burning I'd go for the green because it is more visible than blue. :)

But personally, for burning I'd go for the green because it is more visible than blue. :)
All that is true, but honestly, only visible in dedicated tests, not casual laser usage.

That's why I said it's not important. What's important is the laser itself. Green 100mW from CNI ... :drool: