Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Argon is here :)

Aseras

argon lasers are kinda like neon signs, you have to hit them with high voltage and light off the gas inside of them and ignite it to lase. Old argons are bad abot there being too little or too much gas so they won't light. It gets harder and harder. You literally cook the inside lining of the glass and bake gas in and out of it, so if you don't run them enough they don't fire up so you need a larger ignition current to light them off. Then you run them for hours and hours until you have baked the glass nice and hot and got as much gas as you can to be released again. You have to run argon lasers, they like it. Some comapnies get away with sporadic use by using gas resevoirs and a pump to add or remove excess gas and help light it off.

MarioMaster said:
yup pseudo, it's a 532 head

Got any info on which 532 head though? There should be some letters and numbers following that so you can figure out what type you have. The 532 series included multi-line, single line, 5mW, 200mW, etc.

Aseras

omnichome part number should be Omnichrome 532-XX or Omni XX/532

Get some better pics of the side of the head with the label/plate and the powersupply label/plate if you can.

Looks like 532-prep-a01 and 270A ? in the pic you posted.

Aseras said:
omnichome part number should be Omnichrome 532-XX or  Omni XX/532

Get some better pics of the side of the head with the label/plate and the powersupply label/plate if you can.

Looks like 532-prep-a01  and 270A ?  in the pic you posted.

yeah sorry, it's the 532-prep-a01

drlava

nice umbilical :) looking forward to seeing lasing pics. I have heard that running the filament for a while might trap some of the gas and decrease the pressure enough to start it.

well i tried using my chem teacher's handheld tesla coil but with no luck :( it didn't seem to ionize the tube at all, i don't know how to run only the fillament as after a timer is up it starts firing

anyone that has knowledge on these, plz post suggestions for hard to start tubes :)

Aseras

Let the starter board fire and then spark it with the telsa coil as quickly as you can on the cathode side while it's trying to start with the filament on. Aim for the end with the fins or the wires for the power, and try to get the spark to go to the fins or the bare end of the tube. keep the power low or you can put a hole in your tube and kill it.