Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Argon-Ion laser stuff.

This is is all that remains of my argon-ion collection. I sold off most of the working stuff long ago, but i'm trying to get rid of the majority of stuff I don't really need so I can move in a few months time.

Anyway. Here's the list, and pictures. Make an offer on anything you're interested in and let me know your zip code and i'll give you a rough shipping estimate.

This stuff is next to junk, at least for me, and the scrap yard is the next stop for anything that doesn't sell relatively quick.

ALC-63 head and PSU.. Tube is up to air (was like that when I got it. PO probably opened the fill valve on it) PSU state unknown.. Was trying to build a cable to run 60x heads with it but never finished it.

3x ALC-60x heads.. All 3 used to work, at least the tubes.. I never had a proper PSU for these. And they haven't been run in well over a decade.. When I tested them originally, I drove the tubes off a SP-161 PSU. One has ML optics and was somewhere between 80 and 100mw at 10A. Other 2 were SL 488, don't remember the power on those.

'gold box' PSU for the 60x's.. Dead. I started cleaning it up and rebuilding it in the past, again, never got far.

Omnichrome 170-A PSU.. For Omni 543 heads.. Probably works but never tested it. Was originally 208V but I vaguely remember I hunted down manuals in the past and converted it to 120V. No key or cables. I remember seeing the books and key around somewhere, but i'll have to see if I can find it again.. until then, assume no key or cables.

ALC 60x laser sled.. This is the thing the heads mounted in that slid into the copiers. Would probably make a good optics mounting platform since it's pretty much just a really big AL plate.. Has the fan and shroud. the AOM is missing but I know it was there originally. It's probably "in a box somewhere". If I find it, it's included, but otherwise, assume not.

Fan and shroud for ALC-60x's.. Self explanatory. This is in addition to the one mentioned in the sled above.

Spectra physics 263 PSU.. Probably works. Has keys but no cables

Spectra physics 161B head and 261B PSU.. Head has a new tube and worked last time it was run probably 5-6 years ago. Keyswitch is missing and has been bypassed in the PSU. It also only works in current mode. I think there's a blown op-amp in the light control side if memory serves me right. Head will need a new rear cover fabricated. The replacement tube I put in it years ago, while otherwise identical to the original tube, had a longer bell.. Original cover is included to be used as a reference.

Box of random stuff. Has ALC-60x parts, various AMP and molex connectors, pins, contacts, etc. Probably enough to build an umbilical excluding the wire.. If anyone gets the 60x heads, they'll likely end up with this box too.

Just send me a PM if anybody is interested in anything. Otherwise, it's getting chunked. I'm not letting this stuff sit in my living room for more than a week.

IMG_0665.JPG

IMG_0666.JPG

IMG_0667.JPG

IMG_0668.JPG

IMG_0669.JPG

Last edited:

I should also add that if anyone is willing to come actually pick the stuff up without me having to ship it.. 'free' is an acceptable price.. If I have to box and ship things though, i'd just like enough of an offer to make doing it worth my time.

Update.. the SP 261/161 system does still work. Puts out about 35mW @10A (assuming the amp meter on the panel is accurate.

The other problems listed are still applicable though.. head needs a new rear panel fabricated, and light control is non-functional. It just pegs the meter when you switch to it and drops the laser to minimum current. My money is still on a blown op-amp.

IMG_0674.JPG

IMG_0675.JPG

IMG_0676.JPG

Last edited:
I would pay for freight for many of the 60X items, but the bulk of the work falls on you. Securing them to a palette, dealing with the trucking pickup, etc. Freight would be under $200, most likely. It costs that much to ship en engine block across the US, which is about the same. Shipping the same items via USPS/UPS would be twice that, not to mentioned everything being individually boxed.

long shot PM sent.

Make an offer. And also, tell me how to tell which one that is without dismantling anything :p You have to remember, these things have been shuffled around for a good decade. I haven't known which head was which for years.

They should have stickers on the heads no? If not I'm not sure how you would figure out which one is which besides firing one up or possibly looking at the coatings on the Mirrors and seeing which one is different. I also have absolutely no idea what to offer for one of these and I'm not sure if any of the psu's will work without modification. I don't see why not though. I'm not even sure I'd even get them running considering I already have a bunch of things I'd like to get finished already.

Heh. You've obviously never dealt with 60x heads before. These heads have likely been rebuilt/retubed no telling how many times in their lifetimes of getting moving from xerox copier to xerox copier with rebuilds inbetween. Any original markings on the housing are likely not correct anymore.

I'll look again when I get home, and get a flashlight after them and see if I can tell a difference in the optics visually, but no promises.

My personal advice would be to do what I was originally going to do.. try to make one good head from the lot of them.

for ML vs SL, maybe look for a prism on the HR side? I think they have to use an intracavity prism to adjust the cavity "length" to only gain a certain line.

No experience or knowledge on the 60x heads whatsoever. Its really no big deal if you can't figure out which one is which. I can understand. I am interested in a head butbim not overly determined to buy one off you. BShan is right. There might be a prism inside the single lines. However I'm not going to ask you to take them apart just to see. If I decide to buy one that would be a different story. Though I don't know.

Why not buy them all? He's gonna dump them, unless someone will step up and save the poor little guys.

No, these aren't tunable lab lasers, which is primarily the only things that have tuning prisms. The only difference between them is the coatings on the optics.. Which are external and replaceable by the way.. I think there are a few sets of ML optics on ebay for 60x's at the moment I think.

and I think he's in the same position as you pscholosser.. Not in a position to pick them up locally, and probably doesn't want to play shipping on the lot of them.

That's the main issue with old argon-ion stuff. Shipping costs usually far exceed what the stuff itself is worth.

Last edited: