Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Argh! I've become the local laser repair guy!

Has anyone else here become the go to guy for laser repairs for your friends? Some of my friends that have bought the parts for DIY lasers and even managed to put them together now come to me every time they break them. I guess following instructions is one thing but actually knowing what those parts do and how they interact with each other is another. I've cleaned up sloppy solder joints, replaced blown diodes and drivers, and cleaned lenses at the cost of just parts (I don't like to charge people I know but I may start if they keep breaking their lasers). It seems the biggest problem I see is that they tend to way over turn the focus ring to the point where they actually start turning the module inside the heatsink until the connecting wires either twist apart or bend the diode pins together causing an instant short across the diode usually ending in diode death or sometimes driver death. No matter how many times I tell them the focus doesn't need to be turned that much they still do it!!! I'm running out of spare laser parts!!! Does anyone know of a way to lock the focus ring of an Aixiz module and lens so that it only turns so far in each direction?

I can't relate with lasers, but I certainly can with computers. I'm the local computer guy because I know computers... And yes everything that is computer related (hardware or software) gets brought to me.

The thing I've started doing is free labor, but parts cost money. I would simply tell my friend "The next time you break this, you're going to need to buy your parts. I might have some already, I might not. If for some reason I do though, I'll need you to pay me whatever I paid for these parts because they're not free"

It's unfortunate, but holding someone accountable for their actions usually makes them second guess their intentions. If you say "You broke this diode, which costs xx.xx$, and it's going to cost xx.xx$ to repair" you're putting it into a tangible value for them. Some people don't realize how much this stuff actually is... And some people do but just don't listen.

Then they might say "Well, you have a whole bunch" (hinting that you should give them one) my response would be "Yes I do, and I've paid for them all. They're not free, otherwise I'd have a lot more"

Should get your point across pretty clearly but not at all in a rude way.

If they ARE paying for your parts (After re-reading your post, it sounds like they are, but you just hate the amount of time it takes to fix their stuff), something I've done is basically a consultation.

I'd give them the parts they need, and make them do it while I'm there so I can show them WHY they keep breaking their laser. Honestly, the only difference between you and them is A: Experience and B: Education. If you give them both, the likelyhood that they're going to break their stuff again decreases.

Knowledge is power sir, and if you give it out, you'll save yourself a LOT of headache.

I don't have a computer business but I'm definitely the "computer guy" among all of my friends, family, and even at work (I work for RIM [BlackBerry]) people come to me with general computer questions even though we have a fully complimented IT support desk lol
Needless to say though - I don't just fix the problem - I show them what and how I did it when possible, so hopefully they don't need to bring the item back with the same problem again.

When they DO come back to me with the same problem, I hold them accountable in that I make them fix it on their own with my help; They learn that they have the ability to fix it themselves and they learn that THEY are responsible, not you anymore.

Funny how that works, but that's what I've experienced and how I deal with it.

As for the lens and being pushed into the diode: I'm not aquainted with Aixiz modules so I really couldn't say unfortunately.

Human behavior: I can help with. Aixiz modules, not so much :)

Now a quick question for you sir: Which one is you in your avatar? *Making the assumption that one of them is you*

Does anyone know of a way to lock the focus ring of an Aixiz module and lens so that it only turns so far in each direction?

You could try putting flat washers between the knurled focusing ring and the heatsink to prevent the lens assembly from being turned in too far but it would still be able to be unscrewed.

Kevlar

What about adjusting the module itself inside the heatsink? Push it back farther in the heatsink so when focusing to infinity, the lens stops up against the heatsink. Does that make sense? I almost confused myself trying to explain it. :crackup:

Now a quick question for you sir: Which one is you in your avatar? *Making the assumption that one of them is you*

I would be the guy in the grey shirt... the pretty young lady is a good friend of mine.

@Kevlar - I tried pushing the module back farther into the heatsink but I found the focus ring actually fits down inside the heatsink too so no luck there. I think I will show him what level of damage he did and exactly how he did it and mark the heatsink and focus ring so he knows where the infinity focus is.

@elite ares - The use of a washer to stop the focus ring sounds good too... I may try that if he should bottom the lens out again and keep turning the ring until it twist the module around to the point of breaking something again... lol

Kevlar

Oh well, it was a thought. What about using some thermal epoxy between the module and the heatsink?

I don't have the problem with lasers because very few of the people I know have a lot of interest in lasers, and those that do, don't want to shell out the cash for custom builds. Now other electronics repair on the other hand.. Yeah.. it sucks and gets annoying having to deal with it both at work and at home.