Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Are these OK to use?

MajorLazor

I got these with a 405nm laser I ordered from Laser Pointer Store. They looks pretty cheap, and have no markings to indicate wavelengths blocked or OD. I briefly shined the beam at the side of the glasses, and it did seem to stop it. Are the glasses for violet lasers normall greenish like this? I'm assuming these would not be good for a green laser?

OMG, anything from that store is suspect, are they any good? I don't know, are they even marked? Do you have any kind of association with that store? We sure have a lot of new members bringing that business name up in threads lately.

GSS

Testing the side lens was a good idea. Laser glasses are just protection for a accidental quick strike and if your sure the violet laser didn't pass you should be ok.. These green "lensed" glasses are usually for WL from 190nm to 450nm, so yes they won't block a green laser..
Assume that these glasses are no more than OD2 to be safe..
I'm not sure what you paid but I won the same pair of glasses for a bid of """$1.25""".. You should upgrade your glasses fast though..

MajorLazor

Testing the side lens was a good idea. Laser glasses are just protection for a accidental quick strike and if your sure the violet laser didn't pass you should be ok.. These green "lensed" glasses are usually for WL from 190nm to 450nm, so yes they won't block a green laser..
Assume that these glasses are no more than OD2 to be safe..
I'm not sure what you paid but I won the same pair of glasses for a bid of """$1.25""".. You should upgrade your glasses fast though..

Thanks. I think they were cheap, but more than $1.25. I figured I'd just have them as a spare in case I wanted to show someone the laser, or demonstrate burning. The dot looks brighter through these than my OD4 Eagle Pair, but it seems reasonable. What is the max power that OD2 should be used with?

MajorLazor

OMG, anything from that store is suspect, are they any good? I don't know, are they even marked? Do you have any kind of association with that store? We sure have a lot of new members bringing that business name up in threads lately.

No affiliation. I bought a Sanwo pocket from them since it was pretty heavily discounted. As far as the glasses, there's no markings. Pretty cheap, but that's kinda what I expected.

OK, well, they will work to an extent, as GSS said, but without markings I don't know, you could test them with a small low power pointer and see how much gets through visually pointed at a wall (not that this way will tell you a guess at OD, it won't), or better yet, with a laser power meter or detector, but without knowing for sure I would expect they will at best help reduce reflections enough to be useful. However, for all I know, they are actually very good, it's just when I see them without markings of the OD factor, I don't trust them. It's not that difficult to figure out what the OD is, you just need the right equipment and when new to the hobby, the people they are selling to, you don't have that gear.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS

GSS

Yes having a back up pair of glasses is fore sure a need with this hobby..
A OD1 rating would reduce a 1W laser to 100mW and a OD2 should reduce a 1W laser to 10mW and so on.
I bid on 3 of these cheap glasses to torture test. 2 red lensed and the green lensed like yours.
I was very surprised to see they stood up to even a 5W laser with no burn through even after 30 seconds. Problem is there is just about zero QC and mixing the dye's needed is all over the place. Iv'e seen video's of the same glasses failing miserably and quite scary how bad!
Do not get any of these in blue "lenses" for red lasers. I have yet to see them work and they even pass a Cat toy $1 store laser.. Mine included.

I see your located in Ohio.. There is no reason to be buying from Laserpointerstore.. Yes a few items might be cheap, but if one stops working you are on your own. They will not even reply to your issues and if they do, you pay for return shipping to China or what ever the warehouse "Tommy" is hiding in..

Last edited:

MajorLazor

Yes having a back up pair of glasses is fore sure a need with this hobby..
A OD1 rating would reduce a 1W laser to 100mW and a OD2 should reduce a 1W laser to 10mW and so on.
I bid on 3 of these cheap glasses to torture test. 2 red lensed and the green lensed like yours.
I was very surprised to see they stood up to even a 5W laser with no burn through even after 30 seconds. Problem is there is just about zero QC and mixing the dye's needed is all over the place. Iv'e seen video's of the same glasses failing miserably and quite scary how bad!
Do not get any of these in blue "lenses" for red lasers. I have yet to see them work and they even pass a Cat toy $1 store laser.. Mine included.

I see your located in Ohio.. There is no reason to be buying from Laserpointerstore.. Yes a few items might be cheap, but if one stops working you are on your own. They will not even reply to your issues and if they do, you pay for return shipping to China or what ever the warehouse "Tommy" is hiding in..

Thanks for the info!

Is there any where in the US to buy? It seems like everything comes from China.

Reactions: DTR

GSS

^^^^This^^^^ and also some private member builds could be good..
There are some good China sights like Sanwu and Jet Laser's..

Last edited:
I got these with a 405nm laser I ordered from Laser Pointer Store. They looks pretty cheap, and have no markings to indicate wavelengths blocked or OD. I briefly shined the beam at the side of the glasses, and it did seem to stop it. Are the glasses for violet lasers normall greenish like this? I'm assuming these would not be good for a green laser?

View attachment 65216

I have some like those but I never wear them, Seriously our eyes are worth wearing good laser safety glasses, as linked to above try Survival Lasers and get some Eagle Pair glasses.