Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Are Custom Stainless Steel Hosts Possible?

IsaacT

To all of the Custom Host builders we have out there! I am in love with Stainless Steel. The weight is magnificent, the shine is such a more lustrous one than Aluminum(IMO Aluminum's shine is a bit flat). The only downside being, of course, the heatsinking abilities...which are not much to speak of.

But if someone were to want to have a custom SS host built, could any of you machinists do it?

Thanks,
Isaac

norbyx

Someone that has a lethe can do it for sure, there should be no problem, it is harder to work with but much softer than other materials lethes are used for...
I don't see why not...

They can now do 3d printing in SS. I was designing this flash light but just for what was in the drawing was over $300.... so this project came to a sad end :(

Flashlight_zps32a1c257.jpg

Last edited:
Is the laser behind that mirror? Lol nice job

Also You should talk to mrcrouse about machining as.

Last edited:
Isaac you just need to have the host striped + sanded + polished!! still aluminum attributes but SS shine!

The only thing about aluminum is it is not as hard and can easily be scratched, dented, etc. My l2t special edition is ss and the comparison between that and all the aluminum hosts is pretty noticeable inho. For a good polished aluminum to hold up it needs that clear anodizing out whatever it is without needing to polish it up again. So if you don't mind paying more and the thermal drawback and you want the best looking mirror finish I would go with as between the two.

yeah that's true! even if say you used survival lasers SS host i'm sure I could put a mirror finish on that. I've got one myself I've been debating on doing for some time now. it's has a 2.5-2.6W M140 some I kind of am worried about taking it apart to do the polishing on it.