Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Arctic Spyder 3 Replica

Hi Folks,

This is a replica that is as close as possible to the real Spyder Arctic 3 of Wicked Lasers ! sorry if it came a bit inaccurate at some parts , but it was printed with a 3D Print just assembled , and not yet calibrated for good ! I have not had time ! I hope You like it !

2wh2ekk.jpg

2ngykpy.jpg

Let Me Know :wave:​

diachi

Interesting, I'm assuming this is just the host with no laser yet?

Being made out of plastic will cause issues with heat if you ever do decide to put a laser in there, at least if you want high output power.

Maybe, but this is only a proof !

I think, however, printing it in its actual size you can also montargli a form to copper the whole or half-12x45mm with diode 500mw ! 2x16340 3.7 V ,switched on, up to 1 minute and off for about 10 minutes ,just enough time to cool down

Last edited:

Encap

Hi Folks,

This is a replica that is as close as possible to the real Spyder Arctic 3 of Wicked Lasers ! sorry if it came a bit inaccurate at some parts , but it was printed with a 3D Print just assembled , and not yet calibrated for good ! I have not had time ! I hope You like it !

Let Me Know :wave:​

Is this another solid plastic make believe attempted copy of a WL Arctic host made with 3D printer?

If is a solid plastic it might be good as a non-functiong stage prop, perhaps.

I still don't understand why you are doing this? Why/

Do you want to make an inferior plastic host look-alike of an Arctic for personal use that is of little value as a laser even if you put a laser diode in it?

I would guess it would cost more than obtainign a genuine WL Arctic to make even an inferior plastic copy into an inferior laser much less an accurate in all aspects internal and external except in plastic copy and without the Artic features or value.
Why would anyone want that anyway? Would be worth nothing the minute you were done and cost more than a real one to do.

Would be a much better choice would be to just buy a WL Artic used or new--at least it would have something with residual value in ther real world marketplace.

The real WL host is an inexpensive low quality press fit host/item---WL's original CEO Steve Liu, once told it cost only $15-20 each when making a lot of the Arctic hosts -- used genuine WL Arctic hosts commonly sell on ebay at $45 asking price.

There are many WL "me too" look alike all metal functioning lasers available for very low cost also.

Last edited:
Is this another solid plastic make believe attempted copy of a WL Arctic host made with 3D printer?

-The real WL host is a inexpensive item-WL owner once told it cost only $15-20 each when making a lot of them. Used genuine WL Arctic hosts only have been sold on ebay at $45 asking price.

-There are many look alike all metal functioning lasers available for very low cost.

-You are right on the money Encap.( pun intended).

These WL host cost $20 for a plug n lase unit...

Same goes for the Jet laser,Sanwu,PGL, ...etc hosts.. the only catch is you have to buy 100 pieces...

The Nano and laser 66 pens only cost $5 a piece...

and for plastic 3D printed plastic host... unless you sell it for .2 cent...u have no chance to compete...

best of luck with your idea..

In response to all of YOU , I say this now and not repeat a 2nd time , I've posted photos of some of my projects, 3D printing ,given that the true WL, I do not care because it is only the "exterior" but a power is not worth a fuck ,in the market there are diodes more powerful than the WL ! I liked it and I like the exterior aesthetic of the WL around here , I'm not on LPF to sell to buy ,I have my job and enough for me , gain is not as good but fine and I am happy ! Then don't make comments in the blank and mention the sale and purchase of something that I repeat I do NOT SELL AND NOT BUY! if then the LPF is forbidden to post "such things", then sorry for the fucking disorder , I live my private life and work, even without the LPF !

Encap

In response to all of YOU , I say this now and not repeat a 2nd time , I've posted photos of some of my projects, 3D printing ,given that the true WL, I do not care because it is only the "exterior" but a power is not worth a fuck ,in the market there are diodes more powerful than the WL ! I liked it and I like the exterior aesthetic of the WL around here , I'm not on LPF to sell to buy ,I have my job and enough for me , gain is not as good but fine and I am happy ! Then don't make comments in the blank and mention the sale and purchase of something that I repeat I do NOT SELL AND NOT BUY! if then the LPF is forbidden to post "such things", then sorry for the fucking disorder , I live my private life and work, even without the LPF !

What are you talking about?

You are the one who made the thread here in: "Laser Pointer Forums - Discuss Laser Pointers > Lasers > Laser Hosts" and you asked for comments. You said "Let me know" so members let you know. What do you expect?
This is not a 3D printer forum--and what you have printed is not of any use as a laser host except lowest quality for very low output diodes--even then not very good.

It does not have the "esthetic" of a real WL Lasers Arctic.
It has the esthetic of a poor/low quality laughable plastic fake.
Is it supposed to be a joke, calling it a "Replica"?

It is not the melting point or strength that makes PLA a bad host material but the "Themal Conductivity" a most iportant property for laser hosts which for PLA is very low/bad for use as a handheld laser host for any output laser, low or high, use.

PLA has a Thermal Conductivity of ony 0.13 W/m-K which makes it an insulating material rather than a material that conducts, transfers, and dissipates heat.
PLA has about the same thermal conductivity as asbestos, wood, sand, or plaster--almost nothing --even the metalized forms, copper PLAs are only at best 0.4 W/m-K. Simply PLA is one of the worst material choices possible for any output power laser host from and thermal thermal conductivity standpoint.
see: http://download.springer.com/static/pdf/864/art%253A10.1007%252Fs40964-017-0019-x.pdf?originUrl=http%3A%2F%2Flink.springer.com%2Farticle%2F10.1007%2Fs40964-017-0019-x&token2=exp=1493819173~acl=%2Fstatic%2Fpdf%2F864%2Fart%25253A10.1007%25252Fs40964-017-0019-x.pdf%3ForiginUrl%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Flink.springer.com%252Farticle%252F10.1007%252Fs40964-017-0019-x*~hmac=d4b4820d9ca2678dfe4731ed8e10f008ea73aaa1ac2c7a6afe1b584c4023cacb

Copper is 401.00 W/m-K so 1000 times better than metalized copper PLA and aluminum 205.00 W/m-K.
Good to excellent thermal conductivity is necessary to take heat away from a diode for longer than very short life.
PLA with a therml conductivity of 0.13W/m-K is a very bad material choice for a laser host.
Even metalized PLA is worthless and a very stupid choice for laser host purpose/ use.

PLA does not have the "esthetic" of a real WL Lasers Arctic.
It has the esthetic of a poor/low quality laughable plastic fake.
Is it supposed to be a joke, calling it a "Replica"?
Maybe if you do can push the correct buttons to have your machine make it correctly and finish it so well that nobody can see it is a plastic 3D printed fake---looks exactly like a real WL Arctic---you could call it an external "replica" 3D artwork and it might be interesting to see.

If you want a WL Arctic host just get a real WL Arctic host for less time, money, and effort than to print a really poor quality fake/replica/copy. People on LPF like the "esthetic": of real for use in/as a laser component---not poor quality unuseable plastic fake.

PS Foul language meaning using the F word very frowned upon --- is not good on this forum.

If you want to post 3D creations/artwork of anythng not just laser hosts--post in the "Other" subforum--not in "Laser Hosts" subforum is a recommendation as is use polite language not gutter language.

Last edited:
He had a bit of a melt down there, WOW.......

Dropping the "F" bomb not once but twice is a good way to get..... :banned:

EDIT - I've always wanted to use that "Smile"......... lol

Last edited:

Benm

I suppose making replica's of things using 3D printing is an art on its own.

The point is that these plastic replica's are NOT usable laser pointer hosts in any way. Another point would be that when made from aluminium there would be no reason to copy the Arctic design exactly, as it does not have anything special going for it in terms for performance and there are plenty of ways to get a good surface area from machined aluminium stock that will rival it's performance for an equal mass of material used.

I'm not sure what these plastic replica's are made for - perhaps for show purposes having a non-dangerous low power laser in them?

Last edited:
I suppose making replica's of things using 3D printing is an art on its own.

The point is that these plastic replica's are NOT usable laser pointer hosts in any way. Another point would be that when made from aluminium there would be no reason to copy the Arctic design exactly, as it does not have anything special going for it in terms for performance and there are plenty of ways to get a good surface area from machined aluminium stock that will rival it's performance for an equal mass of material used.

I'm not sure what these plastic replica's are made for - perhaps for show purposes having a non-dangerous low power laser in them?

Exact Benm , the idea would be this , you have centered in the middle of the point ... I know that laser diodes of high power are NOT robust to a host made of plastic ,but I believe that up to 300mw maybe yes !

Benm

300 mW output power? Those still dissipate in the other of a watt of electrical power so would probably not be happy in a plastic host when operated for any length of time.

There is no problem mounting really small laser diodes like 10 mW or so reds in plastic replica weapons, but if you are looking for a few hundred mW you need to take cooling into account.

For show purposes these very low powered lasers would be okay though, at least an actor can tell if he is pointing the weapon in the general direction specified in the script. This is useful to have actors point weapons towards their targets making the overall scene more realistic after adding cgi.

It would be best to keep the lasers under 1 mW or so though, especially when the idea is to shoot somone in the face on screen. Something like 300 mW is not a good idea for such purposes: the victim of such a simulated weapon may act very convincly to be in pain and be blinded, but at 300 mW they would not be acting at all and probably best rushed off to the ER to save whatever of their vision (if any) can be salvaged.

300 mW output power? Those still dissipate in the other of a watt of electrical power so would probably not be happy in a plastic host when operated for any length of time.

There is no problem mounting really small laser diodes like 10 mW or so reds in plastic replica weapons, but if you are looking for a few hundred mW you need to take cooling into account.

For show purposes these very low powered lasers would be okay though, at least an actor can tell if he is pointing the weapon in the general direction specified in the script. This is useful to have actors point weapons towards their targets making the overall scene more realistic after adding cgi.

It would be best to keep the lasers under 1 mW or so though, especially when the idea is to shoot somone in the face on screen. Something like 300 mW is not a good idea for such purposes: the victim of such a simulated weapon may act very convincly to be in pain and be blinded, but at 300 mW they would not be acting at all and probably best rushed off to the ER to save whatever of their vision (if any) can be salvaged.

Right ...! in fact, I decided that 3D printing will continue to do the work , while I decided to learn how to build real laser pointers, based on the guides on this forum ! using aluminum for the host and then diode laser, laser driver, and so on ! all this in the respect of the other and without the use of pointers to injure or blind you permanently. at most I can point the laser beam on the ass of beautiful girls , so I jump for joy :crackup: