Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Anything above 100W 450nm?

Technology's not quite there yet to make it worthwhile to combine hundreds of tiny emitters with insane optics... might as well just get a CO2 tube with a huge electric hookup and call it a day

Idk how you'd make that into 445nm tho

Yes the technology is common place, your typical active fiber laser is pumped via. hundreds of small emitters knife edged and fiber coupled, that's what's inside most of the industrial FC IR laser pumps, many small lasers bundled with optics.

He could use a big YAG and pump a SHG crystal for 450nm but it would be expensive.

C02 centers around 10200nm although I see some tubes advertised as 10600nm so that's not useful unless you can make 450nm from 10.2um

--edit--
Actually there was a discussion about the isotopes contained in carbon dioxide molecules which account for the emission range which can range from 9.0 - 10.2um depending on the combination, still I don't know how you would make 450nm from that.

Last edited:

gazer101

Yes the technology is common place, your typical active fiber laser is pumped via. hundreds of small emitters knife edged and fiber coupled, that's what's inside most of the industrial FC IR laser pumps, many small lasers bundled with optics.

He could use a big YAG and pump a SHG crystal for 450nm but it would be expensive.

C02 centers around 10200nm although I see some tubes advertised as 10600nm so that's not useful unless you can make 450nm from 10.2um

--edit--
Actually there was a discussion about the isotopes contained in carbon dioxide molecules which account for the emission range which can range from 9.0 - 10.2um depending on the combination, still I don't know how you would make 450nm from that.
From what I understand though, combining many individual beams with (imperfect) optics tends to yield poorer beam quality than if you were to have a single emitter. But in the case of a laser pump it shouldn't matter much right?

Blasted beam divergence

It's not so much imperfect optics as the multi mode power we can get for cheap has uneven divergence, aggressive divergence and a wider emitting region, now single mode laser diodes have smaller emitting regions and much better starting beam specs so combining or bundling single mode lasers would yield a better result than bundling multi mode lasers, combining/bundling dpss Gaussian beams can yeild very good results so it matters what you start with, if you had a bunch of gas lasers you could bundle many beams with lenses and mirrors and have much better beam quality than a single multi mode emitter.

Now pumps don't need to have very good coherence length because pumping active fiber which is a double clad fiber the core of which is doped with ytterbium, erbium ect... is much like pumping a yag rod with multi mode diodes or pumping the KTP/YV04 crystal pair in our dpss greens, your product is a high quality beam but at a cost of lost power in the form of waste heat you have to manage.

A lot of what a lot of hobbyist do is based on what's affordable, multi mode blues are cheap per watt and reasonably compact, sure a co2 laser makes a good quality beam, but it's not pretty and the tube/ps is bulky so we live with lesser quality, given an unlimited budget we could have the best of both worlds so those factors are more the issue than imperfect optics as for beam quality IMHO.

gazer101

It's not so much imperfect optics as the multi mode power we can get for cheap has uneven divergence, aggressive divergence and a wider emitting region, now single mode laser diodes have smaller emitting regions and much better starting beam specs so combining or bundling single mode lasers would yield a better result than bundling multi mode lasers, combining/bundling dpss Gaussian beams can yeild very good results so it matters what you start with, if you had a bunch of gas lasers you could bundle many beams with lenses and mirrors and have much better beam quality than a single multi mode emitter.

Now pumps don't need to have very good coherence length because pumping active fiber which is a double clad fiber the core of which is doped with ytterbium, erbium ect... is much like pumping a yag rod with multi mode diodes or pumping the KTP/YV04 crystal pair in our dpss greens, your product is a high quality beam but at a cost of lost power in the form of waste heat you have to manage.

A lot of what a lot of hobbyist do is based on what's affordable, multi mode blues are cheap per watt and reasonably compact, sure a co2 laser makes a good quality beam, but it's not pretty and the tube/ps is bulky so we live with lesser quality, given an unlimited budget we could have the best of both worlds so those factors are more the issue than imperfect optics as for beam quality IMHO.
For sure, CO2 lasers are not portable or efficient. But at the moment we don't have any Iron-Man-level wrist-mounted lasers yet, so if I had to choose between a cart full of 100s of diode lasers or a handful of CO2 tubes I'd prefer the CO2 due to the relatively simpler design and better beam specs

Depends on what you want to do, industry used to use a lot of C02 then YAG and now fiber is taking over because of feed rate and cost, in industry such as a factory the size of the device is not the top factor.

I would like to see ( for my experimentation ) an array of 12 x 12 or even 20 x 20 BDR-209 type single mode diodes or better yet knife edge 12 x 12 which driven conservatively would be good for 100w that you could focus to point tightly and you can enjoy seeing the beam and would be more portable and could even be air cooled without needing a fluid loop.

However for a home CNC the co2 is the way to go and the lowest cost...... in time as costs come down with mass production I bet fiber will take the place of the glass tube gas laser for this segment.

A 12 x 12 or 20 x 20 array of 650mw 405nm single modes should be to pump a LEP ( if it can take it ) and make a very intense searchlight........I do wonder if the coherence length of the 405nm pump lasers add to the throw of the pumped LEP ?

I have been watching Patrick Priebe for a while, he makes some cool stuff, needs to be used with a lot of caution but cool.

Last edited:

Snecho

I have been watching Patrick Priebe for a while, he makes some cool stuff, needs to be used with a lot of caution but cool.
Man, I know right? I saw his LaserGadget stuff waaay back when. It's one of the things that inspired me, one of the coolest things I've ever seen. Like, the upper echelon of the laser hobby. I'm genuinely baffled I haven't seen any mentions of him here besides the fact he has a profile.

He's like the production version of Styropyro

Snecho

I was thinking of something more like this:
Yeah. I guess everyone wants to recreate Iron Man.

I want a Spartan Laser from Halo lol

hreach_m6_spartan_laser_by_toraiinxamikaze_d4d6p2t-fullview.png
spartan-laser-708x398-edca317ade31472bac9e7b60da9b178b.jpg

Last edited:

TrueLaserSaber

I have something useful to add to this conversation.
I was planning to combine two Nubm31T using dichroic cube. I though that by spinning the laser diodes I could change the polarity and manage to combine them, but after some tests that I made, I came to the conclusion that it is imposible.
Dichroic cubes can be used to combine only different wavelengths (not two 450nm)
Finally, here is a very interesting setup (by Techingredients) that manages to combine "same" wavelength laser beams using prism:
Hope it helps: