Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Anyone using IR lasers here with CCD camera?

Anyone here using IR laser pointers here with a CCD camera to record the beam?

Last edited:

Isn't it 11:20PM on March 13th when you posted this since you are in Alaska(1 hour behind me) :D

Anyway, Happy Pi Day!

-Alex

Yea, but most of you in the USA are in Pi day already. I saw I put the happy Pi day in the wrong section and decided to change the post in a hurry to avoid flack :p

Today is a very special Pi day that only happens once in a century, 3/14/15 so be sure and do something special at 9:26:53 AM and 9:26:53 PM. Pi is 3.141592653 and Pi = C/D and always remember Pi are not round but Pi R Squared.

Alan

In answer to your question, I have been using a CMOS camera to focus infrared lasers for about 18 months. Not so much to see the beam, but for focusing purposes it works fine. I have tried to see the beam, but it is not as easy as the visible light being captured with a CCD camera or a CMOS camera. I suspect, but don't know for sure, that one could see the beam more readily if a fog or smoke device were used. I am not aware of any CCD pick ups that are sensitive to IR. That doesn't mean that they don't exist, but mine is CMOS.

Happy pi...

I'd like to find a camera sensitive enough to "see" the beam at near IR, so far i don't know what can do so.

joeyss

I have a certain Samsung 720 p video camera that picks up IR as an amazing bright light. I believe that it is called a samsung memory recorder. It even auto focuses IR at 980nm and my 150mw ish laser comes up as bright as like a 50mw+ with ev set to zero. If you jack it up in that mode the IR is really bright. It seems to remove the filter in darkness mode. Ir 808nm coms up white and 980nm is blueish white.

You can probably get them used and when you set it to darkness with the EV all the way up it makes for a great nv device. I got mine like 4 years ago so i bet you an find them used.

I have a little 320x480 webcam that has the
IR filter removed. I was using it last
night to see if a pair if eBay safety
glasses lets through IR, and sure enough
they do. Very dangerous