Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Anyone know what this is?

americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/nmah_1167852

from PL member 'laserist'

QUOTE=laserist;340103]It's an azimuth mirror.
Kelvin and James White Azimuth Mirror | National Museum of American History
[/QUOTE]

Ah, very neat, Good find Hakzaw.

deliveryService

deliveryService

Last edited:

That is old. William Thomson patented it between 1877 and 1880. Since you are in the UK, ped, it could be a very early model. Nice find, Len.

As far as my definition of Azimuth.. even partial credit is a stretch.

found pic of a Helostat
but not a match

from wiki
going on laserist's post .. azimuth mirror-- still searching.
no credit to me I just made a thread 'over there' and got reply..

_________
just for 'azimuth'
The azimuth is the angle formed between a reference direction (in this example north) and a line from the observer to a point of interest projected on the same plane as the reference direction orthogonal to the zenith
'......The azimuth is the angle between the north vector and the star's vector on the horizontal plane.[1]
Azimuth is usually measured in degrees (°). The cncept is used in navigation, astronomy, engineering, mapping, mining, and ballistics' wiki
__________so what do we call this 'optic' not finding pic of it at 'azimuth+mirror'

COMBINED post.
Ped's late brother made the original find..

comparing with the modern- it screams.. I am VERY old.
and I am sure Ped will have a special place to display it.

not easy to find a pic of the one he has.
older than 'vintage' and maybe 'antique' (> 100 yrs old)

researching is a PITA on dial-up modem== most pages require at least one refresh some take many.

I get a lot of 'waiting time' to play solitare..

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
btw we have a thread a lot like this--from a while back..

That's some great detective work Len, good job! :beer:

Here's a link to that long running thread you mentioned (250 pgs.); I wouldn't mind seeing it brought back to life with some interesting new objects to identify! :yh:
We've got a lot of new members who could post some new and challenging items for us to exersize our deductive skills!

http://laserpointerforums.com/f57/game-guess-mystery-object-61569.html

I always enjoyed that thread, a lot of fun, and you learned something new all the time! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: ped

ped

This is why LPF has a place in my heart.

It's members.

Thank you so much to all who helped, and an extra special thank's to Len & Sam for going the extra mile.

If anyone's interest I can get some high res images of it tonight?

Thanks again everyone.

well
that is PEACHY

Ped may know a mod..lol
who can move this thread over to the first Mystery item thead..

and I promise it will NOT need a sticky..
shoot ten years from now.. (if the pics stay MFers messed with us.. IMageCrap

IIRC there may be a few items there still a mystery.

.and why not allow items that are known to the OP but still rare and interesting. Newer members need to 'search this Thread' to avoid duplicates..
Not sure why the OP OP has become a necro?? or is it.... (not now it ain't no necro) {the rare triple neg}
I will check it every time I am here.

off to find an item..CYA!

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Pick something interesting Len, it'll be good to get that thread up and running again!

I think you're correct, that there are some items that remain mysteries today. ;)

That one is American and is most likely newer than the one he has, Len. That one could be as new as 1940s. This was developed by Lord Kelvin, William Thomson, in the UK back in 1877. It was patented between then and 1880. But, the age is only a guess on both of these.

ped

Yeah I wish I had the original box, the one I have with it is almost certainly a repo.

Reactions: GSS
Box is wrong? that happens a lot-- now we REALLY need to know more.
Nautical Collectors Forum.
pic of right box and dates..semi-mystery for now. when I saw.. LORD KELVIN... kewl!

wont let me edit
last post
found half dozen more
prices all over
no boxes
so found one looking close myb older or newer
but we have the maker right.
in UK 64$ usd
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2053587.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H8.XNautical+Azimuth+Mirror.TRS0&_nkw=Nautical+Azimuth+Mirror&_sacat=0

>>>>>>>>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
another UK
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Brass-Metal-Scientific-Instrument-Kelvin-and-James-White-Azimuth-Mirror-/322777902818?hash=item4b270feee2:g:XCgAAOSwRJ1Zm06z
w/ $hip--$150GPD
^^^ from seller--lol
I cannot pretend to know anything about this instrument. I trust that someone will know exactly what it is
I am happy to answer any questions you have.
(I answer my messages once a day)
I will wrap and package this item with great care. PayPal or cheques only please
^^^ funny

It's not just age, but also condition that makes an antique valuable. I don't know enough about these instruments to tell their age, but the last one you listed, Len, is in terrible condition. I think that listing is only going to sell to someone who doesn't know its value.

'one you listed'... wth?
not my 'listing'....jk I know what you are saying.
;-)
original boxes-parts -paperwork etc all add to value--two of those I found afaik did not have boxes or even what I think is the 'pointing rod'
just a guess.. when you are pointing at sun directly when the rod casts no shadow.

I seen every ARS on PBS- have a friend who KNOWS- gone w/him to actions etc.. having smart fones w/ internet has changed the game a lot..( watch 'Pickers'--Tat Girl at office can make them look like geniuses in the barn.)

My friend's Coke collection is awesome some extremely rare pcs. By 'trade' he is a haircutter and thus has had many old barber chairs.

last post

ped

Been reading the comment in my REP.

No intention of selling it, but donating it, and many other things to the local charity shop.
You wouldn't believe the stuff he's hoarded over the years!

Ped

Benm

Great find indeed!

I thought it had something to do with marine navigation, but finding the exact device is cool :)